hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On another thread in this forum, a poster stated that we would know the diver had DCS if he was treated in a hyperbaric chamber. So I started thinking.

As divers we all think of a hyperbaric chamber as the big tank with a pressure door that a diver with DCS is pressurized to depth and then carefully decompressed, while given O2 treatments, to cure the bends. And, of course, that is true.

Hyperbaric treatment called Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is breathing 100% oxygen while under increased atmospheric pressure. While this applies to our bent divers chamber ride with 100% O2, given at intervals to prevent toxicity, it also applies to a clinics 2ATA or the 1.3ATA Dr office / home model with 100% O2 for the whole ride.

The theory is that if some is good, more is better is in play. O2 is essential when it comes to the proper function of cells. When the body is delivered the optimal amount of oxygen, its cells are able to carry out their various functions more efficiently and faster. This is especially important when it comes to injuries, since the faster and more efficient the cells carry out their functions, the faster the injury heals. It seems to me that this is improving on the Oxygen Tent.

This theory has been proved in DCS and a few other illnesses, but only has anecdotal evidence in others (CONDITIONS TREATED WITH HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY). The anecdotal evidence has been so strong that use is increasing even though insurance does not cover treatment. As clinical studies are done I believe that more accepted uses will be proved.

So next time you hear hyperbaric chamber, you might ask which kind.

Bob
-----------------------------
with way to much time on his hands this morning

As you noted hyperbaric oxygen is used to treat alot of things, not just DCS, and just because a diver get treated with a chamber ride doesn't mean it was DCS any more than "the Doctor gave him an asprin, so he must of had a headache."

Plenty of people get some bubbles, never get treated and live to tell about it. I am NOT recommenting that, but it happens.

So to make your point agian, chamber ride doesn't mean DCS one way or another.

As you noted hyperbaric oxygen is used to treat alot of things, not just DCS, and just because a diver get treated with a chamber ride doesn't mean it was DCS any more than "the Doctor gave him an asprin, so he must of had a headache."

Plenty of people get some bubbles, never get treated and live to tell about it. I am NOT recommenting that, but it happens.

So to make your point agian, chamber ride doesn't mean DCS one way or another.

I was not doing a great job pointing out the confusion inherent in the terms "chamber ride" and hyperbaric chamber which includes low pressure O2 therapy, O2 tent on steroids, and recompression therapy with O2 for treating symptomatic DCS.

Going back to the term Decompression Chamber, which was used when I started diving, might show the difference better.

There is a big difference in a "chamber ride" of 3-4 ATA for 5-7 hrs with O2 treatment to treat the bends and 1.3-2 ATA O2 for 1-2 hr with 5min breaks for air to speed healing of heart and lungs.

I doubt that you would be transported to a Decompression Chamber if there were no symptoms of DCS but once in a hospital they might very well put you in a hyperbaric chamber, if available, to speed recovery and treat for non-symtomatic DCS as a safety measure. Otherwise you would be on O2 mask or in an O2 tent for the same reasons.

If I didn't make it more clear its just me.

Bob

Both of you have very strong points made in your discussion. I just finished reading DAN's 2008 diving report and it addresses the very topics you touched upon, and many more. Only one thing not mentioned and that is, depending on which USN treatment table is used, and how many treatments are necessary, 100% Oxygen does cause lung irritation.

Can't it be used to increase aerobic capacity, etc, to cheat in things like cycling and swimming?

My wife was treated in a "chamber" with oxygen therapy to help the healing of a brown recluse spider bite, so the possibilities of benefits from a "ride" are endless.

About 13 years ago I visited a chamber in Fort Lauderdale (by Holy Cross Hospital) and most of the people there were burn victims, I was surprise that they were actually better equipped for treating burns than for DCS.

I was not doing a great job pointing out the confusion inherent in the terms "chamber ride" and hyperbaric chamber which includes low pressure O2 therapy, O2 tent on steroids, and recompression therapy with O2 for treating symptomatic DCS.

Going back to the term Decompression Chamber, which was used when I started diving, might show the difference better.

Bob, I am with you. Using the term "Decompression" or "Recompression" chamber to distinguish recompression therapy from other hyperbaric oxygen treatments will certainly help clarify the type of treatment a diver recieved.

Here's hoping none of us EVER need a chamber for anything, ever.

Can't it be used to increase aerobic capacity, etc, to cheat in things like cycling and swimming?

It is actually the opposite. Pro athletes will actually exercise in oxygen poor environments (high altitudes) to build up reserves. This chronic mild hypoxic state stimulates the body to produce more hemoglobin to store/transport the limited O2.

In theory the abundance of O2 at 2 atm would actually decrease a person's reserves if they were in it long enough, but this type of thing takes weeks to occur. The reason why burn or injured patients respond to the therapy is that it gets more O2 to the damaged area than at 1 atm and thus should improve healing.

I've never done any hyperbaric chamber rides, but I used to have to do hypobaric rides to stay on flight status in my previous life in the military. Hypoxia in a controlled environment is a very strange experience. Kinda a funny high, color vision degrades, you get minor cyanosis. And when you get on 100% oxygen everything goes rushing back to normal. Now hypoxia in an uncontrolled situation is less fun. Lost cabin pressure at about 28k altitude shortly after takeoff. Then the symptoms come rushing in quickly and fun is the last thing on your mind.

But I recommend chamber rides either way to learn how your body reacts to things like narcosis and hypoxia as it's always different, and can help you detect subtle symptoms in the real world. If I ever take up rebreather diving, I'll feel a bit safer knowing exactly what my early warning symptoms of hypoxia are and hopefully be able to bail out before things get too dangerous.

Just food for thought for anyone who has a chance to do some training in a chamber.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom