hyper active thyroid / graves disease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diagnosed with Graves disease. The Doc that i want to said i should quit diving till i do the radiation treatment or surgery. My question is will it impact diving if i dont have it done right away. should i not dive till i do one or the other. Which would be the better radiation/iodine or surgery. Just looking for some info as i dont know anyone that went through this. Will i be able to dive again after having this done?

Aaron,
How did the disease present? Was it diagnosed during a routine exam or did you visit the doctor specifically because of bothersome symptoms?

Hi Aaron,

You might wish to start here -->
Endocrine problems

You also may wish to consider that the increase in metabolism associated with hyperthyroidism could increase inert gas uptake under hyperbaric conditions. This might translate into an increased risk of DCI.

Based on what very little you've reported, it arguably would be most prudent to follow your treating physician's advice to forgo diving until treatment is successfully completed.

And s/he certainly would be a better source of information than this forum regarding the pros and cons of various treatment approaches (e.g., radiation v surgery) in your specific case.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Aaron,
How did the disease present? Was it diagnosed during a routine exam or did you visit the doctor specifically because of bothersome symptoms?

I had pain in the upper legs and went to my doc. this went on for almost 6 months. He kept blowing it off so i changed doctors went in and she started asking question about pain being warm all the time clammy, my eyes were bloodshot and it wouldnt go away and they hurt ihn the light or looking at a monitor stuff like that after a blood test it was proven to be hyper active thyroid. I was put on methamazol to try and control it but every month the scrip changed. THis went on for just over a year so she sent me to this endocronologist (spelling?) He checked me out and the thyroid is three times the normal size. He said i could either use the neuclear medicine approach or surgery. My choice. He explained that i have to be off the methmazole for 7 days and then they do a Dye type deal one day and the next day they calculate the amount of whatever they use and i basically take a pill. Bad thing about that he said is i have to be basically away from my 2 year old for a week. and then for the next three weeks limited contact. Now the surgery is of course invasive where the pill isnt. So i am just kind of looking for opinions on what to do as i know nobody that has gone through this to ask opinions of. He really didn't provide much for details on healing either way after i do one or the other.

Hi Aaron,

You're welcome for the medical assistance so far provided in this thread.

It sounds like at the moment diving issues aren't primary. Rather, you wish to obtain information about your condition, weigh treatment options and hear the opinions of others who have dealt with hyperthyroid-related disorders.

If so, you may wish to explore and participate in these active support group sites:

Hyperthyroidism Support Group - DailyStrength

Hyperthyroidism Support Group

Hyperthyroidism - Discussions - Thyroid Diseases Support Group - Inspire

Graves' Disease Support Group - DailyStrength

Regards,

DocVikingo

My question is will it impact diving if i dont have it done right away. should i not dive till i do one or the other..... Will i be able to dive again after having this done?
Aaron,
Concur with DocV - I recommend you hold off on the diving until the hyperthyrodism is resolved. Once you're stabilized on medication and approved for full activity, and provided you have no other underlying issues, you should be fine to return to diving.

Which would be the better radiation/iodine or surgery. Just looking for some info as i dont know anyone that went through this.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each - discuss them with your endocrinologist, make sure you understand them, and then make the decision based on your own needs. The support sites that DocV kindly provided should help, and maybe another SB member has had a similar experience that he/she would be willing to share.

I too would hold off just as the professionals recommend. Even though I was a medical professional working as a critical care flight paramedic, I, nor my co-workers did not notice my signs and symptoms until one night at home I ended up with rapid atrial fibrillation and was take to the ER. After hanging out at the coumadin clinic with people twice my age and after a few rounds of regular meds (no radiation) my symptoms cleared and I have been in "remission" for about 3 years with normal TSH levels and more importantly, no signs or symptoms.

Until it is under control, you do not want to put your body under any additional stress. Also, can the caffeine asap if you have not done so already.

Aaron:

While I do not have any first hand knowledge of any of this, my mother also suffers from the same thing as yourself. She went the route of the pill to help with her problems. I remember it being a long road for her to get all her meds under control and trying to get things to function right again or as normal as possible. Every year she has to go through all the blood work and have her meds readjusted. The dr. were surprised that she did not suffer a heart attack before she was dianogised. If I were you I would take the advise already presented and listen to your dr. First things first, your health.

thanks everyone and thanks for the links i am going to check them all out later. I now have pneumonia and have no real strength for anything right now.

thanks everyone and thanks for the links i am going to check them all out later. I now have pneumonia and have no real strength for anything right now.

Get well soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom