Hydrosonically welded seams my assdonkey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm now trying to repair about 60 linear inches of the ostensibly hydrostaically welded seams of my DR 905. I had thought I was going to repair a small area of the crotch, but when I pulled off a bit of the leaking seam tape I discoverd that the outside and inside seam tape was all that was holding the seams together. The seam cement, the same pink stuff on the break-away pockets, had failed dramatically. I ran my finger inside the gap where the cement once held and split the inside seam tape until I hit relatively intact, if unreassuring, cement.
So now I'm planning on re-cementing the seams with Dap Weldwood Original Formula and diving it without inside seam-tape for a couple of dives before I re-tape with Melco tape ( I'm starting to see why DUI may not use inside tape).

ANY OPINIONS?

Last edited:
I would consult DiveRite first, if you are the first owner. Those suits are advertised as being heat welded, and so if they were really glued it suggests someone may have pulled a fast one. DR has very good customer service, so its always worth giving them a call with oddball problems like this.

Other than that, your plan sounds good. Some might prefer a urethane to the contact cement, since the Melco will stick better to it. Though I would hit it with everthing on the first try, rather than patching it halfway then going diving. Not sure what you expect to gain breaking it up.

Hey I hit the jackpot, things are looking up! I really appreciate the highly informed opinion/support and love your books.

I am not the original owner so I have no expectation of help from DiveRite, but I may call them anyway, out of curiosity, re the pink glue which seems identical to the glue on the pocket and suspenders, peels apart easily, and is removable with alchohol.

I'd like to use contact cement because I know how to, it sticks to the pink stuff (on the suspenders and pockets; I'm removing the pink stuff from the seams), and because I have it already.

I'd like to redo the seams, then dive it because (a)I like being able to see the seams and how they'll react and if they'll leak or have weak spots which I can repair before burying them under the tape. I might learn something. Maybe the hard way, but I'll really get it. A clear tape would be ideal, but the glue on the clear stuff I got from the camping store seems too weak.
(b)I'll have to order the tape and I want to go diving now.

Again, thanks for the super books without which I would be sort of miserable now instead of actually having a little fun and learning how to do something of value to me.

Last edited:
OK, I reglued most of the seams ( both legs to just above boots, blown out crotch, close to half the horizontal, and the outside seam tape) and they all held perfectly today. I still cannot pull them apart. Hello dry feet. Hello Airspeed Press.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom