hydros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhizophora79

Reaction score
I was wondering. When you say your tank needs a hydro. Is hydro an abbreviation? Does anyone know what the real word is?

Becky

Rhizophora79:
I was wondering. When you say your tank needs a hydro. Is hydro an abbreviation? Does anyone know what the real word is?

Becky
Yup, as Matt said, it's an abreviation for "hydrostatic." It involves pressurizing a tank filled with water in a water bath and measuring how much it expands. The water is a safety measure to prevent shrapnel should the tank have a catastrophic failure during the test :11:
If you take the time do a search and filter through the results (I'm working on something else right now or I would provide you a link :rolleyes:), you should find a whole pile of information on the subject....

HYdrostatic testing is a test to determine the elasticity of the tank. The concept is that any tank that gets pressurized acts like a ballon. It expands more as the pressure goes up. And just like a ballon, when the pressure is released - the tank shrinks but not (immeadiatly) to its original size.

The test involves filling the tank with water and then pressurizing it to the test pressure (5/3 or 3/2 working pressure as defined by DOT or TC). Water is used because it doesn't compress like air does - not for safety ( we use a blast proof pressure vessel for that :D) There are a number of ways that the expansion can be measured, by doing the test inside a water jacket attached to a measuring device, by weight, or by measuring the amount of water pumped in and then out.

The tank must return to within 5 or 6 % of its origninal size. A typical AL80 will expand about 64 cc and then shrink to 2 cc over its original size. The big big cylinders will expand to 350 cc - about the same size as a can of pop.

A full test will ensure that the tank does not stretch too much and then shrinks back enough.

I hope that this helps.

Water is used for several reasons (faster tank pressurization, more accurate measurements) but safety is still probably the top reason on the list - blast proof enclosure or not, an air-filled HP tank letting go would not be a happy event!

But do you really use blast proof vessels in CAN? The ones here look like they might be, but are not - they have low pressure rupture ports that burst to release the pressure in the event of a tank letting go.

Ontario Diver:
Water is used because it doesn't compress like air does - not for safety ( we use a blast proof pressure vessel for that :D)

oxyhacker:
Water is used for several reasons (faster tank pressurization, more accurate measurements) but safety is still probably the top reason on the list - blast proof enclosure or not, an air-filled HP tank letting go would not be a happy event!

But do you really use blast proof vessels in CAN? The ones here look like they might be, but are not - they have low pressure rupture ports that burst to release the pressure in the event of a tank letting go.

We are supposed to use a vessel that can control fragments. There is a rupture port as well for pressure relief. (and a mop and clean undies nearby!)

TC does not allow air to be used for hydro testing. All three methods (weight, water measuring, and water jacket) all use water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom