Hydrodip backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a few posts here of people who hydrodipped their backplate and I was just curious how things were going for them, and if anyone here ever did and how it's holding up for them?

I recently let my backplate (steel) be done by a professional company and needless to say I ended up getting my money back, the whole dip is already falling apart and just a small hit from my belt buckle and oop, there goes more of the dip (Gauges it right out, almost as if the top coat that's suppose to protect it wasn't done right or isn't there), godforbid the side of the plate where my battery resides (That is just baremetal, after 1 day, no dives done yet, just adjusting the backplate)

It looks gorgeous (Ignoring the multiple flaws besides the dip chipping off so easily, yeah great company...), but needless to say my confidence in having it done again, or doing it myself, is now very low.

I have posted a pic of how it looks and one pic so people can see just how quickly it's falling apart, it's much worse now and there's much more wrong with the backplate then just that.

Attachments

• 20221230_181221.jpg
    20221230_181221.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221230_221318.jpg
    20221230_221318.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 66
Hydro-dipping is really just a way to apply a thin coat of paint. To get a good bond, the plate surface would have to probably be fully roughed up by mechanical or chemical means and then coated with a really good primer, capable of mechanically absorbing the inevitable impact and flexion stresses. Then a hydro-dip for color/pattern followed by a clear-coat wear-surface/protector.

The only coatings that I would consider for a stainless plate would be PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) like DLC ("Diamond like Carbon" Ionbond IHI Group | Your Partner in Coatings and Technology) or a ceramic coating like CeraKote (Germany Cerakote, Colors & Supplies | Cerakote Germany local applicators: Find Cerakote Certified Applicators Nearby | Cerakote Certifed Applicators) Both are used on where impact and wear are significant factors. Cerakote, especially, is frequently used in firearm customization, so there are a good number of local applicators that will do one-off projects.

Hydro-dipping is really just a way to apply a thin coat of paint. To get a good bond, the plate surface would have to probably be fully roughed up by mechanical or chemical means and then coated with a really good primer, capable of mechanically absorbing the inevitable impact and flexion stresses. Then a hydro-dip for color/pattern followed by a clear-coat wear-surface/protector.

The only coatings that I would consider for a stainless plate would be PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) like DLC ("Diamond like Carbon" Ionbond IHI Group | Your Partner in Coatings and Technology) or a ceramic coating like CeraKote (Germany Cerakote, Colors & Supplies | Cerakote Germany local applicators: Find Cerakote Certified Applicators Nearby | Cerakote Certifed Applicators) Both are used on where impact and wear are significant factors. Cerakote, especially, is frequently used in firearm customization, so there are a good number of local applicators that will do one-off projects.
Thanks for the advice/tips !

Really seems the company was out of their league from their usual motorcycle stuff then, and despite me asking only to proceed if they felt confident, they either gravely misjudged or were just hoping for the best.

At least I got a free design out of it, so that's something!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom