Hydro in Austin, Roundrock, or Temple area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
About 2.5 years ago, I was able to get Hydro (only) from 1st Fire Safety for $20/tank if I'm remembering correctly. When I contacted them more recently, they quoted $30/tank. I've send out a number of email to various places that might to hydro, but haven't found anything else yet. Obviously, it won't bankrupt me, but when you have half-a-dozen (or more) tanks all the little costs start to add up.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone knew of any other options in the area. Of course quality matters ( not having your steel-tanks scrapped due to incompetence) but I'm just curious if we're stuck with $30 hydro.

About 2.5 years ago, I was able to get Hydro (only) from 1st Fire Safety for $20/tank if I'm remembering correctly. When I contacted them more recently, they quoted $30/tank. I've send out a number of email to various places that might to hydro, but haven't found anything else yet. Obviously, it won't bankrupt me, but when you have half-a-dozen (or more) tanks all the little costs start to add up.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone knew of any other options in the area. Of course quality matters ( not having your steel-tanks scrapped due to incompetence) but I'm just curious if we're stuck with $30 hydro.
I had tanks done in 2020 at $20 - last tanks in 2022 were $50 - JUST for hydro.
you can use Retester Locations to lookup hydro places - good luck.
if they are galvanized, bring rounding out paperwork with you - if LP and you want a + tell them, and always ask lots of questions - the good shops won't get annoyed at that.

I had tanks done in 2020 at $20 - last tanks in 2022 were $50 - JUST for hydro.
you can use Retester Locations to lookup hydro places - good luck.
if they are galvanized, bring rounding out paperwork with you - if LP and you want a + tell them, and always ask lots of questions - the good shops won't get annoyed at that.
Thank you for that link! That'll greatly speed up my ability to even find places that do hydro.

Definitely on the Galvanized advice. I do have 2x Galvanized tanks with 5-19 hydro, so those are due in about 1-year.

Do you know if the "visual" on that site, is the same thing as the PSI/PCI Scuba Visual Inspection?

Gasses 101: Yes we hydro SCUBA, The price is 31.95 ea, $4.95 discount if you remove valve.
I just heard back from Gasses 101. Considering how quick it is to remove or install a valve, that makes them $3 cheaper! (not much, but it's something). If I find places any less expensive I'll report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom