HYDRO Haze????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
What is HYDRO HAZE? Is it normal?:confused:

I took my Steel tanks for thier yearly vis and found out that the 2 of 5 I had HYDRO'D last year are rusty inside, WTC?!?:shocked2:

When I called the LDS that did the HYDRO they stated that this is not uncommon after a hydro:confused:

Is this true or did I just get a bad HYDRO (service)?

I will need to have the tanks resurfaced inside to remove the rust.. is this bad, will it cause more issues, should I just scrap the tanks - they are only 5 yrs old.

Yes, scrap them. I'll tell you what, I live in Florida, I'll come down and pick them up for you. No problems, you don't owe me a thing :)

Now back to the serious answers.

Do a search on "flash rust" Quite common, typically nothing to worry about.

No problem with flash rust.

Modest flash rust is in itself nothing to worry about, but it still is a sign of less-than-optimum air fills or sloppy hydrotest procedures, so even though under CGA and tank inspection agencies it is acceptable, I still don't like to see it, especially frequently or in every tank. I'll forgive it occasionally, but if it happens too much, go somewhere else.

Sort of like when you take a car for an oil change and it comes back a 1/2 quart low. Once one can forgive, but twice??

Last edited:
the proper way to hydro a steel is inspect it then hydro then tumble with med rinse with rust inhibiter the dry it. airated rust in my lungs is never ok .you do this every 5 year your ok .to much rust during viz years then check you air source to much moister in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom