Hydro Atlantic Incident 9-30-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. How about this, non Nitrox divers don't even know what Nitrox is. So when you are on a boat and have 2 different sets of tanks and don't know which is which, how does a non Nitrox diver know it? A non Nitrox diver never learned to test his gas. It could have been anybody that was on the boat and thinking that he took a regular scuba tank. When I took my Nitrox cert, PADI was still of the opinion Nitrox was the devil.

I cannot speak to this charter (or even any in FL) but while shops will rent tanks, many divers (especially those that are more serious) will own and bring their own tanks on these trips. I suspect that this boat did not have a communal pot of tanks for everybody to draw from so the chances of somebody taking a tank that should be properly analyzed (and marked accordingly) is very low. There is a better chance that this might happen at the fill station however again, I do not see how it is possible for someone who owns their own tanks to walk out with the wrong tanks.

Can't probably think straight since this is quite a sad incident. I may have trouble expressing myself. Allow me to give it another try.

I agree with you that as a Nitrox diver, you check your gas, write on the sticker the oxygen level date and sign it. What I am trying to say is, that I have been on boats where there were Nitrox and Air tanks. You could see the Nitrox tanks from a mile away because they were marked with the yellow/green stickers and even if one got in with the air tanks it would stick out like a sore thumb.
But as you stated, it is not a requirement to have it labeled, so..... this can happen again?!?

Agreed. How about this, non Nitrox divers don't even know what Nitrox is. So when you are on a boat and have 2 different sets of tanks and don't know which is which, how does a non Nitrox diver know it? A non Nitrox diver never learned to test his gas. It could have been anybody that was on the boat and thinking that he took a regular scuba tank. When I took my Nitrox cert, PADI was still of the opinion Nitrox was the devil.

This is one of those things that was covered in my PADI OW class several years ago. When we talked about diving it was noted that divers breathe air. Not "oxygen" as some news outlets have one think. The instructor was very clear on that and at the same time used it as a lead in to the discussion on tanks and why some were marked the way they are. We did not actually discuss the use of nitrox but did know basically what it was. I can't believe that any course could cover equipment and not at least mention this. If so that doesn't say much for the thoroughness of it.

Even if someone is just training a diver to do nothing but 40 ft reef dives there is a good chance that the op they are using will have nitrox tanks. So you at least let students know what they are and that if not trained for it to keep their hands off.

Not passing that on would really be dumbing down training.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Can't probably think straight since this is quite a sad incident. I may have trouble expressing myself. Allow me to give it another try.

I agree with you that as a Nitrox diver, you check your gas, write on the sticker the oxygen level date and sign it. What I am trying to say is, that I have been on boats where there were Nitrox and Air tanks. You could see the Nitrox tanks from a mile away because they were marked with the yellow/green stickers and even if one got in with the air tanks it would stick out like a sore thumb.
But as you stated, it is not a requirement to have it labeled, so..... this can happen again?!?

Neophyte divers are rarely taken to dive sites with depths in excess of 30meters or 100ft. It is highly unlikely that a cylinder mix-up would result in a death on a dive under 100ft.

Yes, it can happen again, and has happened several times before. Remember Carl Spencer for instance. (Look him up if you don't remember)...

Who is going to require the yellow band? As a nitrox diver, I keep whatever gas in my tank I need. Air (21% nitrox) is still a nitrox mixture. I don't have special tanks for air or nitrox. I just have tanks. They are all good for nitrox. The "Yellow and Green Band" is recommended, but not required, since who is the agency of enforcement?

The key points are:

1) Analyze your tanks
2) Label your tanks
3) If it's not your tank, don't dive it.

I can't think of the number of times I've "thought about" analzying rental tanks on vacation. In fact, I was on the Tenneco when this event took place over channel 16 diving "presumably air". I guess I shall now put into practice analyzing all tanks into my pre-dive ritual.

To give more clarity and prevent assumptions, a bit more info on the diver.

He was experienced in mixing his own air, having worked at a number of local dive shops as an instructor. He probably has a minimum of 20 tanks, all nitrox ready, and also had to fill tanks for large groups of students. Also keep in mind that this dive was a multi tank dive, and he likely had 2 mixtures with him, probably regular air for the deep dive and 36% for a follow-up reef dive, as this was a standard type of dive for our group, to different profiles and 2 air mixtures.

His tanks were all marked with nitrox identification stickers, and were most likely HP steel on this day. I believe he was still using his aqualung legend and atomic cobalt.

As it stands the question is: Did he fill the tanks wrong and not test? Did he test and mislable? Did he test and lose the label? Did he not read the label correct or at all on the boat?

In my mind his accident happened on land, with the consequences occurring under the water.

I see people here from all sides of diving each getting a different message out of this fatality. It’s a very tragic fatality, and gas issues can be very scary—they are impossible to test for without specialized equipment, and divers as a whole tend to be very trusting of their dive shop. It’s scary to think that they could make a mistake, and we don’t want to believe that we can make a mistake.

I don’t think communal tank use is very common, I’m used to seeing divers get assigned to a tank(s). Gas testing is not covered in OW classes, so I guess OW only divers are trusting the shop or dive master to provide them the proper mixture.

I’ve also never seen someone take a tank from someone else, especially if assigned to a set of tanks. The nitrox label probably wouldn’t help: if they don’t know what it is, it’s easy to assume it’s just the name of a shop, or a cool looking sticker.

You can limit the use of your technical tanks by using DIN valves in the primarily yoke world, and by leaving stage kits on the tanks. Additionally, putting a label with your name over the mouth of the valve might help them to realize they are grabbing the wrong tank. The example given on a 80% mix should have the MOD marked (deco tanks should always have the MOD, since that mixture is less likely to change than a stage) and it should have had a stage strap, making it difficult for someone to grab accidentally.

As far as mixups somewhere in the system that accidentally provide someone with a tank with the wrong mixture…the only solution is to analyze your tanks.

When it comes to the nitrox sticker, it is not a solution at all. Air is a nitrox mixture. Probably the better term for what we call “nitrox” is “enriched air nitrox,” which designates that you are talking about something other than air.

The nitrox sticker doesn’t give you any information at all. It’s like putting a sign that just says “hill” on a ski slope. The skier still has to analyze the hill to determine if it’s safe to ski down, just like a diver still has to analyze. Since there is the potential for personnel errors or mechanical breakdowns to put an EAN mixture into an unmarked tank, even the unmarked tanks should be analyzed—just because there isn’t a sign saying the slope is a “black diamond” doesn’t mean it’s the bunny slope. However, the people who are supposed to “stay on the bunny slope” aren’t taught how to analyze a hill. Of course, it’s not very often that a non-nitrox trained OW diver grabs a nitrox mixture and dies, and that’s not what happened here, either.

Even labeling with a percentage of oxygen is not the complete solution. That label means nothing as soon as the tank is out of your sight, and sometimes sooner! Think of it like a “for sale” sign on a house. Could it be that the realtor put the sign up in front of the wrong house? And what if the house sells and the person hasn’t taken the sign down yet, is he or she going to be happy finding strangers peeking into windows to see if they’d like to make an offer?

The best solution for tank labeling is a label that goes over the valve opening, so that any usage of the tank means the label is removed and destroyed. However, since the opportunity still exists for the “sign to be put in front of the wrong house” it is still not a complete solution.

The only solution that really works is to analyze before each dive. Even then, you could have a faulty analyzer, and setting up a group of multiple cells that use voting logic is expensive.

Many divers don’t dive that often. If they owned an analyze, the cells might die between each trip, and most divers don’t want the hassle of buying a limited-life product before every dive trip. Even if they did, they could easily forget to order the cell until it’s too late.

The better solution is analyzers on the boat. But you’ll have plenty of people who don’t know how to use it, and it could take a significant amount of time to get all the tanks analyzed between each dive. The units will also probably get ruined quickly in the boat environment.

I don’t have any statistics to show how rare this type of death is, but I think that shows how rare this type of death might be. It’s very tragic when it happens, but I can’t recall that many fatalities due to either o2 or CO in breathing gases. While I would love for everyone to analyze before every dive, I’m sure we have plenty of technical divers who don’t analyze, especially for CO.

My o2 cell has been dead for months now, and I have several tanks that aren’t analyzed. After this tragedy, I’m thinking I should probably remedy that before my next dive trip, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I know in the grand scheme of things, o2 cells aren’t that expensive, but it’s one of those things that is easy to put off when your gas supplier knows you by name and you develop some sort of trust with them. The real lesson here is, don’t trust anyone, not even yourself and your memory—analyze yourself with your own well kept analyzer, and label yourself, in a way that minimizes the risk of someone using your tank or for your label to get outdated.

I know we see people on here posting about designing contraptions for scuba divers for different classes…I think it would be very nice to see a very cheap and reasonably accurate o2 sensor that could be used on the 1st stage or 2nd stage of an existing regulator setup. It would need to be cheap, lets say $10, and last for a while. I don’t think you need an LCD readout, something color coded maybe, or a tri color LED, I don’t know. Something that would tell people something like “this is air,” “this is EAN” and “this is deco.” That would be enough information for someone trained on air to realize the tank is not air and they should not dive it, and for someone trained on deeper diver to realize they were about to breathe a deco mix. Of course, even with something like that, I’m sure people would make mistakes, and it wouldn’t stop CO deaths at all…but I think knowing your PO2 is one advantage that rebreather divers have over OC, and it would be great if there was a simple way for OC divers to know their PO2 or some rough estimate.

We were diving doubles his were lp steel 72s. Charter was for 1 dive. Just to clear some things up..... That is about all I can say at this point

Him and all of us on the boat at the time were under the impression it was air. ALWAYS analyze your tanks if you have ever decided to fill nitrox! It was something small over looked that had terrible results. I am surprised it didnt hit sooner underwater, by the time I had got to him I had done everything I could but it seems that the damage was already done...

Very sorry for your loss.
Was he diving alone?
Your statement seems to indicate that he was convulsing for some time before he was discovered?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom