Hydration Revisited – Myths Versus Facts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And does over hydrating increase risk for for Immersion Pulmonary Edema (IPE)? That is another important question.
It's a good question and one that has been proposed as a possibility especially in people who inadequately vasodilate their pulmonary vasculature. However, we still don't know why some go into 'true' IPE vs. developing pulmonary edema sometimes. Good for you to make the connection.

I was taught that urine color is your best insight on the body's water needs.. Always worked for me... The only time it will not read right is with drinking alcohol... Mostly beer... You'll pee clear but be dehydrated.. From boy scouts to ranger school.... The lighter the color the better you are doing.. Beware of dark urine ..

Jim.....

I was taught that urine color is your best insight on the body's water needs.. Always worked for me... The only time it will not read right is with drinking alcohol... Mostly beer... You'll pee clear but be dehydrated.. From boy scouts to ranger school.... The lighter the color the better you are doing.. Beware of dark urine ..

Jim.....

Thank you Jim. Obviously when taking vitamins, ones urine takes on a particularly yellow color. Most people take vitamins only once a day and thus pee out those vitamins on the first pass.

It's a good question and one that has been proposed as a possibility especially in people who inadequately vasodilate their pulmonary vasculature. . . .

In layman's terms, please?

The last 20 mins before a dive may not help with hydration, but it sure helps keep your mouth wet (I get horrible cotton mouth on longer dives), keeps you cooler if your doing hot drops, or need to be geared up before you hit your target (outside barrier reefs in 5' swells), etc

As another poster said, if your thirsty, your thirsty. Now drinking a gallon of water seconds before you jump in, something's wrong, either physically, or mentally.

B 'I've never peed in MY wetsuit' Rad

+1, Only on rentals :angrymob:

B 'I've never peed in MY wetsuit' Rad
Only in the rented ones?

The article as such is kinda just a recap of "you cant hydrate in 20 minutes and you cant do it with beer" which we (should) all know by now anyways..
Hydration is a continous process

The last 20 mins before a dive may not help with hydration, but it sure helps keep your mouth wet (I get horrible cotton mouth on longer dives)....

Off topic, but while I get a horrible dry mouth at night (lifelong mouth breather) I do not while diving. The old style metal bodied second stage regulators I use might have a lot to do with it. Incidentally the type I use (SP 109A) breaths as well or better​ than any other second I have tried. Of course YMMV.

I've read that to be really hydrate you should drink adequate amounts of water for days. Personally I am always hydrated, but do drink something right before a dive but only to fend off dry mouth. I've also read that chugging water does little to hydrate you as a lot of it passes straight through you, slow and steady to actually hydrate.

I try to maintain a reasonably high level of hydration whether I'm diving or not.

I also rarely drink alcohol the night before I plan to dive (much as I love a good glass of wine, Scotch, ouzo or sake).

Yes, I know... pretty boring guy... but being an old geezer means I have to take care of my sacred temple so I can dive another 52 years!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom