Hydrating effects of different types of drinking water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? I don't see any of that in this thread. Honestly. This reaction is completely surprising to me. Just because a person doesn't like "sports" drinks or just because she questions whether there's a real need for such drinks while engaging in scuba diving doesn't mean she is displaying "hostility" towards athletes, was "bullied by athletes", is prone "to bash anything and everything in the world of athletics". Wow.

I had the same reaction to this post, but thought I must have missed something. I guess not.

The best advice I ever got - Indra Nooyi (7) - FORTUNE

Assume Positive Intent
Indra Nooyi

Chairman and CEO, Pepsico

My father was an absolutely wonderful human being. From him I learned to always assume positive intent. Whatever anybody says or does, assume positive intent. You will be amazed at how your whole approach to a person or problem becomes very different. When you assume negative intent, you're angry. If you take away that anger and assume positive intent, you will be amazed. Your emotional quotient goes up because you are no longer almost random in your response. You don't get defensive. You don't scream. You are trying to understand and listen because at your basic core you are saying, "Maybe they are saying something to me that I'm not hearing." So "assume positive intent" has been a huge piece of advice for me.

"As far as I can tell, outside of the wacky fringes of health food nuttery, the other place you can get really bad information about the health effects of food and drink is in the athletic world."

This is where I got the impression that someone was taking shots at the world of athletics. If I am wrong, I apologize. But I cant see how this could be taken any other way. Perhaps you both did miss it.

I think, if you are running a marathon in Atlanta, you DEFINITELY should not rehydrate with water. You will end up with hyponatremia and muscle cramps. People who are exerting heavily are in a completely different class from people who are simply wanting to optimize their volume status. Most people who are simply out for a day of diving, even in the tropics, don't lose THAT much salt -- sweat is quite hypoosmolar, actually. To make sure you expand volume as much as possible, it is not a bad idea to take in a little salt, such as what might be absorbed from eating a few pretzels or a bag of chips (which are staples on our local dive boats).

Where I get a bit exercised is when people get on bizarre bandwagons of just this particular electrolyte mixture, or it has to have carnitine in it, or any of a whole battery of recommendations I've seen people make. Gatorade is really too concentrated, and water with a bit of fruit juice and a touch of electrolytes is probably MUCH better. But for most divers, drinking water alone is probably adequate, and there is no need to make it mineral water. The mineral concentrations in such water are too low (and often of the wrong sort) to make any difference.

"As far as I can tell, outside of the wacky fringes of health food nuttery, the other place you can get really bad information about the health effects of food and drink is in the athletic world."

This is where I got the impression that someone was taking shots at the world of athletics. If I am wrong, I apologize. But I cant see how this could be taken any other way. Perhaps you both did miss it.

For my part, I did not take that as taking a shot. The reality is that where there is a high interest in nutrition, there are fringe elements - just like most any other topic you might care to discuss. Athletics happens to be an area where there is a high interest in nutrition, and the fringe element provides a lot of bad information - supplements, diet regimes, etc. IMO, that is a observable fact. But it does not mean that a shot is being taken at the "world of athletics".

...//... To make sure you expand volume as much as possible, it is not a bad idea to take in a little salt, such as what might be absorbed from eating a few pretzels or a bag of chips (which are staples on our local dive boats). ...//...

Sorry, works to two masters. Salt also keeps you from having to pee. Why not eat bicarb before a dive?

The statement mentioned the "wacky fringes of health food nuttery" but then referenced the entire world of athletics as a source for really bad information about food and nutrition. If they had said "the wacky fringes of athletics" I would not have taken offense. There ARE wacky theories in the world of athletics...as well as abuse of drugs and steroids. However, to paint the entirety or the athletics world in a negative light is offensive to those that are a part of that world and not "on the fringes". For every steroidal maniac in the world of athletics there are multitude of good solid kids that are a credit to their communities. For every creep encouraging athletes to use steroids or espousing some insane diet regimen there are tons of hard working honest coaches, trainers, and strength and conditioning experts trying to do their best to promote healthy athletes with healthy lifestyles. To step up and take that shot in a thread where someone suggests the use of some fruit juice mixed with a little salt and water???? Pretty over the top in my opinion. My intention was NOT to sell a formula and I did not suggest that everyone should run out and start drinking this instead of water. Simply a suggestion for anyone concerned about dehydration. Even is water were far and away the one and only thing a diver NEEDS, it certainly wouldn't hurt them to drink what I suggested (unless they are diabetic and choose orange juice without diluting it enough or some such thing) and, as I have stated, this mix may well be just the thing for someone that doesnt like drinking plain water or simply drinks more when it is something they really like the taste of and therefore is less likely to become dehydrated.

The statement mentioned the "wacky fringes of health food nuttery" but then referenced the entire world of athletics as a source for really bad information about food and nutrition. If they had said "the wacky fringes of athletics" I would not have taken offense. There ARE wacky theories in the world of athletics...as well as abuse of drugs and steroids. However, to paint the entirety or the athletics world in a negative light is offensive to those that are a part of that world and not "on the fringes". For every steroidal maniac in the world of athletics there are multitude of good solid kids that are a credit to their communities. For every creep encouraging athletes to use steroids or espousing some insane diet regimen there are tons of hard working honest coaches, trainers, and strength and conditioning experts trying to do their best to promote healthy athletes with healthy lifestyles. To step up and take that shot in a thread where someone suggests the use of some fruit juice mixed with a little salt and water???? Pretty over the top in my opinion. My intention was NOT to sell a formula and I did not suggest that everyone should run out and start drinking this instead of water. Simply a suggestion for anyone concerned about dehydration. Even is water were far and away the one and only thing a diver NEEDS, it certainly wouldn't hurt them to drink what I suggested (unless they are diabetic and choose orange juice without diluting it enough or some such thing) and, as I have stated, this mix may well be just the thing for someone that doesnt like drinking plain water or simply drinks more when it is something they really like the taste of and therefore is less likely to become dehydrated.

As I am not the person who posted that, I, like you, cannot speak with certainty as to the intent. My reading of it did not suggest TO ME that "the entire world of athletics [is] a source for really bad information about food and nutrition". My opinion, FWIW, is that you are reading something in that was not intended. I'll not comment further as it is really up to the poster of those words to clarify, but I am interested in seeing that clarification.

Eating bicarb would do the same, but would also likely cause some discomfort from eructation or gut cramps from gas. A small bag of potato chips tastes a whole lot better, too! And yes, you are right that it will reduce urine output, as well.

cbm32, I clearly struck a nerve. I do think there is a great deal of bad information in the world of athletics. That does not mean ALL information in that world is bad. It does not mean all information elsewhere is good. Can you let it go?

Sodium Bicarbonate works even better than salt at urine retention. However, I have serious concerns when messing with the CO2 system. (Research project anyone???) A dump valve and plain old water is truly the answer for me.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom