Hybrid Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f someone can’t LLRR without having a long hose donation problem than it’s a skill problem.

Then*

Or because LLRR on OC backmount needs to continue to go the way of the dino and shouldn't be taught, as most progressive agencies learned long ago.

I would mind seeing a picture of you doing a 300 foot rebreather dive with bailout bottom and deco cylinders.

Ask and ye shall receive. 2xLP120 bottom bailout. Next AL80 bottle goes below me on my left side, the next 3-4 go on a leash clipped to my left butt ring. No images of the bouquet, unfortunate.

Attachments

• 8081114F-D99F-4C20-9DF6-25F8A242539F.png
    8081114F-D99F-4C20-9DF6-25F8A242539F.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 04240235-AD11-4272-A543-5545E88D60AF.png
    04240235-AD11-4272-A543-5545E88D60AF.png
    439.1 KB · Views: 129
Any course is really just a license to learn. This rigging seems really convoluted to me... Do you have any buddies willing to dive with you this way? There is a bunch of gas switching which is hard to follow and likely to happen at non-standard times and are you going to be able to get a buddy to confirm those switches?

Not sure how you can say it is convoluted when it is nothing more than a back gas cylinder and a left sidemounted cylinder. Now the deco cylinder I am open to either side as I was just mimicking the way I see most of the northeast CCR divers carry their bailouts. I am sidemounting the left cylinder as I do plan to hand that cylinder off to anyone and the hose on that one is hanging from my neck on a necklace.

The gas switching is even less than sidemount as there is no real need to balance the rig because of weight of the gas in two large cylinders on either side of you as full sidemount. It is more like diving with independent doubles backmounted.

Definitely don't make up some system, that is likely new to even your instructor, just for your class.

I would not pressure any instructor to do anything they are not comfortable with. In the end I will probably do the training in one of the mainstream configurations or just find an instructor who will give me a lot of practice during my CCR deco training in open circuit bailouts like @tbone1004 mentioned.

Ask and ye shall receive. 2xLP120 bottom bailout. Next AL80 bottle goes below me on my left side, the next 3-4 go on a leash clipped to my left butt ring. No images of the bouquet, unfortunate.

Somehow I do not see you using that configuration on a dive like the Andrea Doria.

Correct, because that volume of gas is unnecessary in open water. It would then the same rebreather mounted on a set of double LP50s with two 80s on my left side and maybe a leased 40 depending on duration. Standard doubles regs with an extra LP hose feeding the MAV with long hose on right side and (again), unimpaired donation.

To finish this ongoing derailment: LLRR with OC backmount is an inappropriate configuration and not a "skills problem" as @divezonescuba stated. I'm with @rjack321 on the convolution associated with the intended system.

Somehow I do not see you using that configuration on a dive like the Andrea Doria.

to expand on @grantctobin 's comment
Doria=250ft so call it 8ata's.
700ft, long, so call it a 15 minute kick at depth to get to the anchor line to start ascent.
Call it a 45 minute bottom time on 15/55 *standard gas that is a setpoint of 1.2-1.3* and on 60/80 gives a 2.5hr deco.

You'll need an AL80 of O2, an AL80 of EAN50, an AL80 of 35/25, and 15mins*8ata's*1cfm=120cf plus ~20cf of backgas deco until you hit the 35/25 bottle at 120ft and I would do that dive in a rack mounted CCR with LP50's and 3x AL80's. Not a problem at all in that configuration which is why it is the best boat diving rig out there IMO...

to expand on @grantctobin 's comment
Doria=250ft so call it 8ata's.
700ft, long, so call it a 15 minute kick at depth to get to the anchor line to start ascent.
Call it a 45 minute bottom time on 15/55 *standard gas that is a setpoint of 1.2-1.3* and on 60/80 gives a 2.5hr deco.

You'll need an AL80 of O2, an AL80 of EAN50, an AL80 of 35/25, and 15mins*8ata's*1cfm=120cf plus ~20cf of backgas deco until you hit the 35/25 bottle at 120ft and I would do that dive in a rack mounted CCR with LP50's and 3x AL80's. Not a problem at all in that configuration which is why it is the best boat diving rig out there IMO...
45min BT is bad idea in the ocean at those depths.

45min BT is bad idea in the ocean at those depths.

It's not 1992, bring a scooter, see the whole wreck.

don't disagree with either, no way I'd be on a 8ata wreck in high current without a scooter and I wouldn't plan a 45 minute BT, but that would probably be the contingency time plan if everything went sideways

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom