Hurricanes/Tropical Storms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all that is left of the shop. There is no sign of the compressor or tanks or gear anywhere. We went down there today to take a look and help find anything that may have washed up. One lowly reg was burried in the sand - with the octopus so deep you can't dig it out easily cos it is in the tidal area and I was not willing to get all my clothes wet! The rest of the shop is probably under the sand in the bay and may be salvageable as you suggest FredT but it will be hard digging it all up and I think they will just make an insurance claim for the lot. Also - there are many hard rocks sticking up out of the sea nearby, scattered all around and I suspect most equipment was picked up by the enormoud waved and smashed on these rocks for several hours and was badly damaged before becomming buried in the sand.

But thanks for the advice. I will mention it to the managers.

Those rocks may be a blessing.

Look in the wave lee of the rocks. The surge will hve been much diminished there, so heavy things deposited there will likely still be there.

For sure they should go for the insurance claim, but salvage of the unburied parts is a pleasant and productive way to spend a few weekends, and to get a feel for the new topography. Salvage value of anything that you have to remove a lot of overburden for is usually not worth the effort to recover it. OTOH A few storage bottles "donated" to the shop rebuilding process should be good for an air fill or 3.:rolleyes:

Definitely looks like wave damage in the pictures. Nothing works like mother nature's erasers.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom