Hurricane warnings and travel planning....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Folks,

We are now in the midst of hurricane season in the Caribbean and I thought it would, once again, be useful to put this website on our Board for your use:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wfront.htm

There are others including:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

For the Caribbean the hurricane season is from about the end of July to the middle of November. The highest probability is around mid-August to the end of October. But, that is only probability, not certainty.

For the Pacific region there is typhoon season. That is around the same time of year, but the Hawaiin Is. do not often suffer from typhoons (The people who went through Iliki might disagree with me!).

At any rate, there are frequently "travel specials" for that time of year and divers ought to be aware of the potential problems. Beyond the impossibility of diving during a hurricane or typhoon, there is also the damage that follows in its wake. Damage to reefs and water clarity will be apparent weeks or longer after the storm has passed.

At any rate, when planning late Summer or Fall dive travel take weather into consideration.

Joewr

Thanks a ton, joewr,

Not only did both sites have what I was looking for, but I found out the great news that Tropical Storm Jerry has been downgraded to a Tropical Depression.

Thanks again,

Rick

And Everyone Else...

I will be in St. Thomas at the end of this month and I really, really would hate to have to cancel for a hurricane. So please everyone include the following in your prayers:

"Please of lord, god of all scuba divers, don't let weather mess up syruss's trip as he is in dire need of a vacation. thanks"

Back
Top Bottom