Hurricane Earl holding anyone elses dive plans hostage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparhawk13401

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So my dive on U352 was scrubbed back in May, but like a trooper, after shedding a few hidden tears, I walked off my disapointment and almost immediatley scheduled another trip.

This trip, which has kept me drooling for the past few months, was scheduled for none other than this weekend. I had been watching The Weather Network with bated breath, but the phone call came anyways this afternoon. All dives cancelled for this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

So I was curious what the NC captains/locals are seeing and hearing. The weather reports seem to be conflicted/guessing and some are even saying it could be great weather there Saturday and Sunday.

I have untill tomorrow afternoon to modify or cancel our hotel reservations. Any advice......

Every storm that threatens our coast that has the potential for destruction that Earl has holds everyone who lives or has a business at the coast hostage. The last thing the NC coastal communities need is the elimination of Labor Day weekend economic activities caused by a storm. Then we have to worry about the expense of cleaning up if we do take a destructive hit.

Robin is right, many of the boats have to move to safe harbor. Our 2 biggest operations have opposite exposure risks, one to the SW, the other to the NW. Both are really open and exposed to the wrong sort of wind. Tortuga is in one of the best hurricane harbors near the coast with nearly 360 degrees of protection. So far, I am planning on staying at my dock and battening down real well.

I am still optimistic that Earl turns more to the east and moves past quickly and gets out of the way and I can at least run my Sunday and Monday trips.

Fingers are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom