Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
No way, dude- if your gonna run, run early, otherwise dig in and ride it out. They are predicting landfall on late Sunday/ early Monday- if I run North it will be before the weather deteriorates- last thing I want is to get trapped on the highway in crappy weather.
Good point for your location since you’ve got a well-defined escape route. Over here if we run too soon we’re just as likely to run into it as away from it.

This just in...
...Dennis becomes an extremely dangerous category four hurricane on
the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale...new warnings issued...
And the forecast track has been revised westward - back right on top of P'cola again.
Rick

Im typing this from my key largo hotel room. Afte spending about $1200 in air fares and suffering 2 weeks of orlandos wettest ever june i spent 7 hours ffdriving here for the last week of my holiday. Arrived at 7pm snf told have to evacuate at 10am. As i only have 7 days here and it looks like i cant return until sunday/monday this could be the nost expensive non diving dive-trip ive ever had. At best i may get 2 days in. Im being forced to ft. launderdale in the morning. I must say im not amused by this storm!!

We need prayers up here. There are lots of homes that still have damage from Ivan & here comes another major storm. If the Air Force tells me we are under mandatory evacauation I am hitting the road... It is only a house!

Should be headed down to South FL the week of the 18th (after any cleanup) and will dive down there. Hope Dennis is at least nice to the East coast diving for me...

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm just hoping this thing keeps tracking further and further East, it'd be great not having to buckle in or evacuate.

NO, NO, NO.....You guys keep this thing as far West as possible......Preferably Texas :wink:

Yup leave it up to Dennis to screw up everyones plan for this weekend.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want to go diving and now nobody can, I just cant wait till my vacation in a few weeks..... can I just go now?

fun2chase:
We need prayers up here. There are lots of homes that still have damage from Ivan & here comes another major storm. If the Air Force tells me we are under mandatory evacauation I am hitting the road... It is only a house!

Should be headed down to South FL the week of the 18th (after any cleanup) and will dive down there. Hope Dennis is at least nice to the East coast diving for me...

Hey hun... ever get the feeling we're playing poker against the worlds top poker player and when it comes to poker hands all we've got is a full house and suspect they are carrying a royal flush?

We'll be starting to feel the effects today - winds, rains, worse as the day drags on. Tomorrow will be the worst of it.

As we all know the cone of "Where will it go" is just a guess and once it hits the Gulf it can go anywhere.

Have your chainsaw and gas cans ready, if anything you'll have something to do should it hit your area.

String:
Im typing this from my key largo hotel room. Afte spending about $1200 in air fares and suffering 2 weeks of orlandos wettest ever june i spent 7 hours ffdriving here for the last week of my holiday. Arrived at 7pm snf told have to evacuate at 10am. As i only have 7 days here and it looks like i cant return until sunday/monday this could be the nost expensive non diving dive-trip ive ever had. At best i may get 2 days in. Im being forced to ft. launderdale in the morning. I must say im not amused by this storm!!

On the flipside, you're getting a real close look at one of the storms that completely redesigns local landscaping and housing in a very short period of time!

Let us all keep things in perspective...

If Dennis goes ashore as a catagory three or four as it is right now there will be families who lose EVERYTHING they have in the world. Our diving inconveniences are minimal.

I am very worried for some of my friends in the Lower Keys who are riding out the storm. Catagory four storms are freaking scary.

Everyone in the Keys please be smart and safe.

Friday morning...
"SOME SLIGHT WEAKENING MAY OCCUR OVER CUBA BUT DENNIS IS FORECAST TO REMAIN AS A DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE WHILE IN THE GULF OF MEXICO. THIS IS SUGGESTED BY MOST OF THE INTENSITY GUIDANCE."
For you Destin/FWB/P'cola folks - I have some room in Montgomery and I know others who do as well. Contact me by PM or email (rick@murchison.bz) if you need a place to camp.
Do not try to weather a category 4 storm on the coast. Trust me on this :)
If you are in the lower keys I give you my very strongest recommendation to get the hell out of there NOW!
Rick

Back
Top Bottom