Huracan, Long Caye trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the 600 also include transfers to and from airport (or next island)?

It covered the boat ride from Belize city to Long Caye. (This is also their supply run.) it did not include the taxi to and from the airport, at $25 usd one way. One more tip, on that. The princess Ramada arranges transfers for $10 to the airport.

If you factor in the cost of other dive trips from San Pedro to Blue Hole, the transport part of that costs around $150 per person, so the boat ride is around a $300 value for a couple.

600/day still seems high for what you get. I'm going to compare it to a couple of other resorts out there that have air conditioning etc. Thanks for all the info.

600/day still seems high for what you get. I'm going to compare it to a couple of other resorts out there that have air conditioning etc. Thanks for all the info.

It’s definitely high for the price, but when compared to Turneffe it seems like a bargain, at least at first glance. I would seriously consider a liveaboard, based on other’s feedback. You get lighthouse reef, and Turneffe with that, and a lot more diving. The price is a bit more, but it may be worth it. Also, look into Half Moon Caye. They have cabins there, and Half Moon Caye is what I picture when picture paradise. Insanely beautiful white sand beaches. Palm trees swaying. I think the cabins may be through Belize Audobon society?

It’s definitely high for the price, but when compared to Turneffe it seems like a bargain, at least at first glance. I would seriously consider a liveaboard, based on other’s feedback. You get lighthouse reef, and Turneffe with that, and a lot more diving. The price is a bit more, but it may be worth it. Also, look into Half Moon Caye. They have cabins there, and Half Moon Caye is what I picture when picture paradise. Insanely beautiful white sand beaches. Palm trees swaying. I think the cabins may be through Belize Audobon society?
I did notice the cabins on Half Moon Caye while visiting from the Belize Aggressor III, but I don't believe there is a dive operator on Half Moon Caye. If you can get on the Aggressor at a discount, like we did, for $2100 per person all inclusive for the week, you'd be at the same price point as Huracan.

Halfmoon Caye is my happy place.

Turneffe Flats appears to be an option but I'll probably just keep doing it the hard way. $300/day just to take the day boat from San Pedro. LOL

Halfmoon Caye is my happy place.

Turneffe Flats appears to be an option but I'll probably just keep doing it the hard way. $300/day just to take the day boat from San Pedro. LOL

I think if you want to go in the cooler months, it may be a much better experience. The location is definitely pretty amazing, and I would not want to make that boat ride daily. I would do some research on whether any of the Half Moon Caye options have dive packages available. Even REI does a trip there, and they set up tent sided cabanas. It's also pretty pricey, though, and doesn't include diving so it makes Huracan seem like a bit of a better deal. I bet there is something out there, though. We will research it more if we decide to go back.

As far as I know the tents are for kayakers. I'd always thought the cabins were for the rangers.

I've taken that trip out and back no less than a dozen times and perhaps more. It's not that bad on the right boat.

Thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed report. I just got back from three weeks in Belize, first and third in Placencia with the Toledo and Cayo Districts in the middle. If anything, it seemed like there were fewer mosquitos this time than in years past, including the jungle. Pretty much non-existent in Placencia.

Based on your report, my wife would have hated that trip. She's very much a creature comforts kind of gal and for whatever reason mosquitos seem to be especially attracted to her. As someone else mentioned, mosquitos on the cayes haven't been nearly the problem for us compared to the sand flies. At Turneffe, whenever the wind died down the sand flies were out in force and we all had to stay inside.

My next to last night in Belize I spent at a cabin in the Cockscomb Basin in hopes of seeing or hearing a jaguar (no). No AC, no fan and in fact no electricity so no lights either. It was like trying to sleep in an oven. The only way to cool off was to take a cold shower, but unfortunately the water smelled like kerosene and left a waxy residue on my skin. It was a long night. At least it was cheap. :D

Gee Downing, sounds cheap at twice the price! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom