Hunting Octopuses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Greek islands they are so good simply grilled over charcoals with a little lemon and maybe some olive oil. I'm not sure how the fisherman get them there frankly - I should have asked. There is a restaurant in NYC called Babbo (Italian place owned by Mario Batali) - the grilled octopus appetizer is simply off-the-charts.

In Oregon and Washington it is illegal to harvest them with anything pointy. They are legal to harvest and the limit is one per day. I have yet to find anyone willing to discuss technique openly. Until this thread that is...

I have also heard of folks surfacing while the octo is attached to them. I have also heard that some have coaxed them into their goody bags. I can't imagine how any of this is tried and true in each case.

I have not had the good fortune to get one hunting yet. My buddy got a big one out of his crab pot. He had quite an adventure getting it out of the pot and into the fish box. It was good!!! How many times to you have to have the opportunity to eat a couple pounds of tako in one sitting?

Is there anyone out there that has actually caught a decent size GPO?

TN

Wayward Son:
I personally am interested in good recipes for octos. I do like to eat them, but have not cooked any myself yet.

Wayward, one of the best ways I've had octo is "poki". It's pounded until tender, boiled and slice into thin pieces. Then marinated in sesame oil and toasted seeds with a little ginger, green onions and ogo, or this crunchy seaweed. It's really goooooood. You can do tuna the same way. Hawaiians have it wired.

I wouldn't simply put one in a goody bag. They're both strong & smart, they figure things out. Nor would I want one hanging on me, no telling what he might decide to grab.

Another way to kill them is to use a sharp knife. There is a nerve behind the eyes, cut it & problem solved.

renaissancemanjoshua:
OK so I've got to pull up an old reply on this one and raise a silly question. Why and how would one pull the mantle on an octo inside out? I am having a hard time visualizing that one.

Why? to kill him fast. Once you get a hold of the animal it is not a good idea to waste time.

How? I'm not sure I can describe the steps to follow. I guess if you handle a dead octo first then you can get a better idea of what is it that you need to do.

Doc Intrepid:
Don't get them out of their holes to begin with. Leave them alone...

On a camera dive, I would look them and keep my distance, but on a spearo dive, I would shoot it and bag it in a flash.

This is the hunting forum Doc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom