HumpNight dive July 23rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Nah, Marc, you and your family are the only normal one's. So, you can't dive with us anymore.:wink:

No Mike
Wrong Answer!
Marc has that cool digital camera that takes really wonderful underwater shots! We need him!
Marc- you and your strange family can dive with me anytime!

If we find any new subspecies of hi-hats we'll name it after ya.
Those are high hats not spotted drums! LOL!

That's right - lightening struck my office building yesterday so we had Wednesday morning off. Naturally I rented a tank and scouted the night dive, solo!

It was awful "windy" down there this morning, because of lotsa serge of course visibility was limited. With all the sea fans and other plant-like critters waving back and forth it was like being in the high desert on a windy autumn day. All the fish were hunkered down, doing their best to stay put and out of trouble. After about 30 minutes still on the first reef I had had enough and turned to head back.

But just to my left I caught a flashing - it turned out to be one of two reef squid who seemed to be doing no better weathering the serge than all the other critters. One was about 18" long and the other - blinkie - less than a foot. I grabbed hold of something that looked dead yet solid enough and settled in to observe.

The squid seemed to be playing, or mating. Blinkie would flash and the larger one would move closer. Then they'd zip around one another for a few seconds and then go back to their places, one to either side of a sea fan.

Their colors changed according to what I imaged might be their mood - before "playing" blinkie would start flashing a yellow/orange light. When they settled down they became a mottled brown on top with irredescent blue dots and "creme" on the bottom. Occasionally a trigger would approach - triggers love squid - and they'd turn striped brown.

I spent at least 30 minutes with them, sometimes just inches from my mask as the serge pushed and pulled us.

Then a huge carpet of seaweed engulfed Rover, my dive flag (the blow up kind), and I lost them when I surfaced to rescue it.

So, Marvel and I did the night dive - I had expected to abort it due to the serge, but it turned out to be fairly calm and clear. By the time we finished gabbing with a neighbor it was nearly dark and we saw a number of interesting night-fish as soon as we dropped down. A trumpet/coronet and two nurse sharks, and of course a bijillion puffers.

One thing I have to do is stop ditching my camera at the first sign that visibility might not be 80'. In that single site I've had so many critter encounters that I'm beginning to worry it's all been my imagination. A pic or two would be nice.

Well, it was a successful day and one that just drove the old addage home all the way - "The worst day diving is better than the best day at work."

It was a truly wonderful dive! Couple of parrot fish, a nurse shark or 2, but diving for me is less about the critters & more about the weightless freedom of the water. I like to just float around & let the water take me where it wills (sideways, upsidedown-whatever)!

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Nah, Marc, you and your family are the only normal one's. So, you can't dive with us anymore.

scuba_jenny once bubbled...

No Mike
Wrong Answer!
Marc has that cool digital camera that takes really wonderful underwater shots! We need him!
Marc- you and your strange family can dive with me anytime!

Gee, thanks guys. That's about the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me on this board. Most of the stuff can't be repeated. :D

Marc

That's IT! I am soooo tired of hearing about humpday dives. ATTN: All SoCal divers-either we start doing something like this or I'm moving it FL and joining them!

That is all.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
That's IT! I am soooo tired of hearing about humpday dives. ATTN: All SoCal divers-either we start doing something like this or I'm moving it FL and joining them! That is all.
lol there's nothing like breaking the week in half with a Wednesday dive. It's HIGHLY recommended... like a little weekend between short weeks. Of course, the dives are a LOT easier here... we complain when the surf splashes salt water in our face on the leisurely walk out. If we get tired or bored we just pop up 10' and grab a cold drink from the dive flag float. It's difficult to have a macho ego about *this* kind of diving.

That's it Mike, rub it in, rub it in good. :tease:

Scott

Sorry I couldn't make it. I had planned on going with my wife when she promptly reminded me that she does not like night dives. I think she does, she just doesn't know it yet.

We are still moving/renovating a house so I don't have much time right now but we will definately be joining you guys sometime soon.

Thanks for the report, it is making me very anxious to jump in.

Joe Shook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom