huge Lake Texoma catfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can partially explain why Texoma breeds monster fish.

Texoma is a deep lake with a huge shad population. When there is a winter shad kill the stripers and cats gorge themselves on the dead and dying.

Its a huge lake. The fishing pressure for that lake remains on the Morone saxatilus and the Micropterous dolomieu, and Micropterous salmoides.

No real pressure on cats.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I can partially explain why Texoma breeds monster fish.

Texoma is a deep lake with a huge shad population. When there is a winter shad kill the stripers and cats gorge themselves on the dead and dying.

Its a huge lake. The fishing pressure for that lake remains on the Morone saxatilus and the Micropterous dolomieu, and Micropterous salmoides.

No real pressure on cats.

TwoBit

Could you translate this for the benefit of the mentally challenged?

It means there's a lot of bass fishing!

Never heard of Micropterous dolomieu, is that the hybrid?

archman:
Generally channel and blue cats are much smaller and you rarely see them longer than 18 inches.

When I was growing up in Missouri, we regularly caught channel cat's longer than 18". They grew large living below spillways were all the food collected after a storm.

archman:

Umm, I think so...

"A series of studies were conducted to evaluate means of producing, and relative production characteristics, of the meanmouth hybrid bass (Micropterous salmoides X M. dolomieu). Study 1 compared the use of Human Chorionic Gonadotropen (HCG), carp pituitary, and Leuteinizing Hormone Releasing Hormone (LHRH) as spawning hormones for producing the hybrids. Results indicate that female broodfish of both species responded best to HCG, while male broodfish of both species responded best to carp pituitary."

Courtesy of: Stilwell, William*, Boris Gormelsky, Shawn Coyle, David Yasharian, Leigh Anne Bright and Jim Tidwell
Aquaculture Research Center, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY 40601

Study 5 was not statistically significant with the probability level greater than 0.05. Looks like they were using an alpha level of 0.05--confidence level of 95%, therefore they had to fail to reject the null hypothesis.

http://www.tnstate.edu/iager/ardabstracts2003/abstracts/050.htm

archman:

Thats a smallmouth. I had the pleasure of catching my first smallmouth on a fly rod a couple years ago. It went about 3 lbs, and fought like it was about 6.

M. dolomieu=small mouth

M. salmoides= Largemouth

M. saxatilus= striped bass

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Thats a smallmouth. I had the pleasure of catching my first smallmouth on a fly rod a couple years ago. It went about 3 lbs, and fought like it was about 6.

M. dolomieu=small mouth

M. salmoides= Largemouth

M. saxatilus= striped bass

TwoBit

So...the Micropterous salmoides X M. dolomieu is a hybrid largemouth/smallmouth? Is that why they call it meanmouth, 'cause it's the averagemouth?

If you read the description more closely it says largemouth X smallmouth, huh? Gee, ya learn sumpthin' everyday.

Tom, you're gonna have to show me how to use a fly rod! Ultralights are all I've caught 'em on.

I would love to see a large mouth with the serious attitude problem of a small mouth.

The hybrids that people talk about are M. saxatilus (Striper) M. chrysops (White) bass crosses. They, like many other crosses, are sterile.

Hybrids do occur naturally in small numbers. Consider the two species need flowing water to spawn and typically use the same waterways.

I havn't touched a fly rod in a couple years. Diving has gotten in the way of my fishing. If you want to learn to fly fish, I'll introduce you to my father-in-law. I enjoyed it, its just been awhile, and I'm more of a beginner anyway.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
The hybrids that people talk about are M. saxatilus (Striper) M. chrysops (White) bass crosses. They, like many other crosses, are sterile. TwoBit

I wonder if that is the same "hybrid" stripers that we used to fish for in the Arkansas River below Keystone Dam. We used topwater lures when the shad were jumping. Some of those dang things were as long as your leg. Friend of mine's dad always used a surf rod.

Speakin' of rivers, water, and such; anyone canoe the Illinois? It's great after spring rains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom