Hudson Grotto yesterday & a string of firsts for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyrofish

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove Hudson Grotto yesterday, my first sink hole or spring. Great place to dive in.
It was also my first dive with my new DSS wing, and my new Versa Pro computer. Both of which were great. That wing is fantastic, and the Versa Pro was very simple to use.

It was also my first dive with a heavy silt on the bottom, and my introduction to the frog kick. I need more practice on that though :wink: My buddy started pointing behind me and I looked to see what looked like a thunder-head of silt rolling towards us. Then I remembered that cave video that everyone was downloading on the other thread, and started to frog kick. Very helpful. That first dive was down to 112', and VERY dark. It was nice to have a wall to look at all the way up though. The slow ascent seriously helped burn off the deco time we got on the bottom. The Versa Pro never went into deco though. My buddy was using a Nitek HE, and it said we needed 5 minutes of deco (he's a tech trained diver). The Versa Pro was less conservative by a couple of minutes, which was fine, and good to know. This will help me plan dives with others in the future. Like I said, we burned off the deco time looking at the walls, and making the a trip around the hole at 40'. Then practiced the frog kick by doing laps around the 20' platform. It's a very cool place to dive, as long as you can stay off the bottom :D The entire dive from submerge to surface was 50 minutes, which is also my longest dive. I was using a single PST 104 (3000PSI), and my buddy was using double 80's.

The second dive we went to the middle buoy, which goes down to 106', and was THE darkest place in the sink. While descending, all I could see of my buddy was his light. It was interesting to follow the cave lines to the different "wrecks" on the bottom. The halcoline wasn't as pronounced as usual according to my buddy, but it was there. There was a couple of times I thought I was looking at a wall. We saw 2 boats, a VW bus, and a toilet :wink: Again, my buddy incurred deco on this dive (on purpose), while the Versa Pro still had 2 minutes left on NDL. So we slowly ascended by swimming around the walls again. This time we found the Budha and rubbed his belly. Yet another 50 minute total dive time.

I really enjoyed being able to get deep without dealing with the ocean. I see lots of spring diving in my future :D I'm also feeling pretty good about the new skills I learned in that environment: better buoyancy, frog kick(s), and my improved SAC rate.

Just had to share.

Jason

I tried the Hudson Grotto a few months back, I liked it but since i'm not tech or nitrox cert. yet we stayed at the 45 foot platform. I saw the line at 35 that went around the perimiter but wasn't feeling very brave that day. Is there anything to see if you follow the line around ?

excellent report, thank you

how cold was that middle water, do you think? i hear it stays pretty cold

H2Andy:
excellent report, thank you

how cold was that middle water, do you think? i hear it stays pretty cold

According to the computer during the dive, the water temp varied between 68 and 70. I noticed a few colder than average spots, but we moved through them pretty quickly and my computer didn't adjust the temp before we moved through it. My buddy is an average sized guy, and he was wearing a 6.5mm farmer-john. He got a chill in those couple of spots we moved through, so there's no telling. I'm a bigger guy, and I wore a 3mm jump suit, which fealt a bit chilly in those spots too. :D The wierd thing was, it was warmer at the bottom. Must be the halocline or the hydrogen sulfide layer that keeps the warm water down there.

One of those layers, not sure which, looked like tan wisps in the water. At one point the tan portions were so thick, with my buddy slightly above me, it looked like I was descending through a smaller tunnel. Kind of freaked me out for second :D On the first dive, I had seen a smaller passage that reportedly went down to 140'.
Jason

well, i've never been there, but i've herd there are basically three layers:

top and bottom are warm

middle is cold!

and yeah, i've also heard that passage goes down to about 150 feet

(i was talking to two guys from Tampa once, and they mentioned
going to Hudson Grotto... i was like... "what grotto?" had never
heard of it. they liked the place, but said it did get boring after a while)

N@rco$i$:
I tried the Hudson Grotto a few months back, I liked it but since i'm not tech or nitrox cert. yet we stayed at the 45 foot platform. I saw the line at 35 that went around the perimiter but wasn't feeling very brave that day. Is there anything to see if you follow the line around ?

We did both dives on air. You don't need to be tech or nitrox to do it, just comfortable with buoyancy, depth, and dark, and know about the silt and the frog kick :wink:

We followed the line around the hole on both dives to burn off our nitrogen loading. I believe that's where the Budha was. We heard that there was an alligator statue somewhere too, but we never saw it. The whole way around is interesting though. At one point there's a large section of roots that sticks way out into the hole. It just kind of appears when you swim up on it. If you look closely at the rock face, you'll see where some of it has disolved away, leaving big holes behind the walls. Some of the holes look like someone dropped a giant drill into the wall and made an almost perfect circular hole. I'm not talking little pin holes either, these things looked to be 18" and bigger in diameter.

A little deeper and the wall slopes out away from the middle. This leaves you several feet under some of the ledges as you ascend. The overhang was swiss-cheesed with holes that collected the bubbles, and when you shine your light up into it, all the connected holes lit up. Pretty neat effect actually.

I'm glad I went, I like challenging environments, I think they make me a better diver where ever I go. I learned alot in that hole :wink:
Jason

H2Andy:
well, i've never been there, but i've herd there are basically three layers:

top and bottom are warm

middle is cold!

and yeah, i've also heard that passage goes down to about 150 feet

(i was talking to two guys from Tampa once, and they mentioned
going to Hudson Grotto... i was like... "what grotto?" had never
heard of it. they liked the place, but said it did get boring after a while)

It probably would get boring after doing it several times. There was a couple there that said they dove it every weekend. I think they were practicing their caveing techniques though. I can't imagine going there every weekend. I think I would lose interest in that particular location, but it's definitely fun the first couple of times. Just like anywhere that small I suppose.
Jason

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom