HUD + wireless that clips on to the LP reg hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I dive almost exclusively with my wife. While we were finishing up Divemaster we got a product demo from the people that make the underwater comms systems and full face masks. I forget who it is, it's not that important. My wife loved the full mask. I like it myself. However, currently I use a Datamask (DataMask HUD) and I won't get rid of it. It narrows my FOV slightly, but I've gotten used to it and never had an issue. Furthermore, having the data there is just...I dunno, maybe I'm lazy, but I love it.

So I asked the mask people if they had a version with a HUD because that was a non-negotiable to me. They didn't, citing cost issues of an extra grand or two, which isn't that big of a concern to me but I understand their market is already fairly small in Hawaii (even the "plain" datamask isn't sold on island due to it's "niche" market).

The demonstrator, though, was insistent that such a feature essentially existed as a HUD that clips on in a very sturdy manner to the reg hose in front of your face with the full mask. However, my Google skills have turned up exactly zero results of this.

Anyone know if he is correct?

I only know of the Shearwater NERD (HUD). Its is mainly targeted at CCR divers I am sure it will work on FFM.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not what I had in mind nor what the guy really made seem was available. For what I'm using I think that would have a difficult time staying in place on a low pressure hose compared to a CCR. Also more than what I need really. I'm looking mainly for depth, NDC, EDT, air pressure, etc. Don't need partial pressures and mixes as I rarely even dive on nitrox let alone trimix or otherwise.

So I dive almost exclusively with my wife. While we were finishing up Divemaster we got a product demo from the people that make the underwater comms systems and full face masks. I forget who it is, it's not that important. My wife loved the full mask. I like it myself. However, currently I use a Datamask (DataMask HUD) and I won't get rid of it. It narrows my FOV slightly, but I've gotten used to it and never had an issue. Furthermore, having the data there is just...I dunno, maybe I'm lazy, but I love it.

So I asked the mask people if they had a version with a HUD because that was a non-negotiable to me. They didn't, citing cost issues of an extra grand or two, which isn't that big of a concern to me but I understand their market is already fairly small in Hawaii (even the "plain" datamask isn't sold on island due to it's "niche" market).

The demonstrator, though, was insistent that such a feature essentially existed as a HUD that clips on in a very sturdy manner to the reg hose in front of your face with the full mask. However, my Google skills have turned up exactly zero results of this.

Anyone know if he is correct?

Hmmm...that conversation sounds strangely familiar Matt. Being as my co-worker and myself did the demo a while back with Maui Dreams, I'm assuming you must be the same Matt.

For now, we, (Ocean Technology Systems) manufacture the full face masks and comms you and your wife tried, but do not currently manufacture a HUD. As was mentioned before, there is one that SeaBear Diving Technology makes which you can see here : HUDC - Head Up Diving Computer

Since the SeaBear contact is Austria -- I'd recommend taking a look at the SubGravity HUD (which is the same system but packaged with a different company). You can see the pricing and info here : https://www.sub-gravity.com/product/subgravity-hudc-head-up-dive-computer/

There are plenty of photos you can look at to see how it connects to the hose. If you have any questions regarding FFMs or comms in the future, let me know and I'd be glad to answer.

Cheers

While that sounds like it would be unlikely that you had this exact conversation with two matts I've never heard of Maui dreams. I live on O‘ahu and am not familiar with that company.

While that sounds like it would be unlikely that you had this exact conversation with two matts I've never heard of Maui dreams. I live on O‘ahu and am not familiar with that company.

Wow, crazy. Could have sworn that was you lol. To be in the same situation, the husband having a Datamask and wife liking the Guardian FFM, but husband didn't want to get rid of his diving info on his mask. Small world.

Looked the guy up, I guess his name was Greg, not Matt, my bad.

Anyway, hope the links for a HUD helps and glad to hear you are interested in the FFM world. I love diving mine. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and i'd be glad to find the answer for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom