HP vs LP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Would one of you dive gods please explain to me the advantage of high pressure tanks over low pressure tanks. I've been looking at all the different boards & everybody seems to favor the HP tanks, can't figure this out. Came to you because of your answer to my question on Heliox.

Waiting ever so patiently for your reply, O great god of the Deep Blue

Hello don,
in answer to your question, there are several reasons to support hp over lp, the main one is; if you have two cylinders that are 80 cuft, and one is 3000 psi and the other is 2000 psi or less the total amount of gas in the hp cylinder is more than the lp. There are formulas in the U.S. Navy Diving Manual that can show you the exact difference in total usable gas per cylinder. But there is one advantage of lp cylinders over hp and that is in reference to high %'s of oxygen. When you have hp o2 there are great safety margins with lp tanks than with hp tanks, o2 is an extremely flammable gas and if the right conditions are present the hp gas cylinders have a higher tendency to accident or incident than with lp cylinders. I hope this answers your question if you need further clarification feel free to reply.

rainreg

rainreg

Knew I could count on you for the answer. Could you give me a source for the "Navy Diving Manual", I saw on in a local shop a couple of years ago, but at that time I wasn't as interested in the technical aspects of diving as I am today. Can't join the Navy to get a copy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, O' great guru of the abyss.

rainreg:
Found US Navy Dive Manual at Divelink, downloaded all 5 volumes. Again thanks.

[Edited by don on 09-25-2000 at 01:04 PM]

anytime thats what we are here for. if you have anymore questions or require information if I do not have it I know where to find it.

Back
Top Bottom