HP steel tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find a buddy who has a FX100 for example or rent one. The best way to determine how a tank dives has little to do with SB. Rent the tanks that interest you and then you can make an informed decision. But be aware steel tanks do want to roll more than alum. You get used to it.

Most new tanks come with Pro valves which are DIN and yoke compatible.

I have a pair of Worthington X-Series HP 120s. Love the extra bottom time I get since I am 6'2 / 215. Everone around me sips air but I glug it like pilsner at Oktoberfest. I use them on a Yoke reg with no problems.

If you plan to dive in Canada, then these are made in Canada and meet their DOT (Transport Canada) regulations.

One word of warning: the 120s will not fit into my LDS night drop boxes. They are about one inch too long.

with the 3442psi hp tanks you do not need a din
size? A close one (that i like and have) is the worthington / xs scuba hp100 , it's smaller by a bit, and holds more air, and because it doesn't go positively buoyant when low on air, you can lose about 6 lbs of lead weight

tank chart ... scuba cylinder specifications from tech diving limited - 928-855-9400

Totally agree , read no more. When I used my worthington steel 100 tanks , I trully wish I never had to use another al 80. Just my oppinion.

For single tank diving, you'll find less tendency to roll if your wing is configured so you don't need a STA as the tank sits closer to your back.

IMHO next to a good old steel 72 a Faber FX100 is the most comfortable tank to dive, but never mind my choice;
Ron Frank hits the nail on the head with his advice to rent/borrow/steal a tank and take it for a test dive.

Hello OP,

I have two PST HP 100s. My wife has two PST HP 80s (she just does not use any air). She uses my 40 year old PST 72 on many dives.

Steel tanks rule! Roll issues? We just don't notice. We must be desensitized to the problem.

With the HP 100s, you still get about 80cf with a low pressure fill.

We use yoke style regs. Our tank valves are convertable to DIN.

All of our tanks are smaller than an AL80.

STEEL, STEEL, STEEL!

markm

I personally use Faber HP 120 for my set of doubles and my GF sold her two AL 80 to purchase Faber HP100 singles. Money permitting, I will probably trade two AL80 tanks this year for two Faber HP100 or 120s as they are the same price around here. I have DIN valves on my doubles and my GF has a DIN on one of her tank and a 232 on the other. In all likelihood, when I make the switch, I will opt for DIN valves and purchase additional HOG D1 or D2 Cold water regs to dive with those singles and keep my SR1 for travelling.

I think steels in cold water diving make a lot of sense, sinking those thick 7mm farmer johns is
not an easy thing to do. Warm water diving however make the AL80 something that needs a
consideration. With regards to the roll effect I agree the later PST tanks before the stop of production
did not seem to roll as much as the later LP tanks from worthington. So if your diving PST's and rarely
turning to your side or even completely over to look up you probably don't notice much roll. The LP worthingtons
however you will notice, it's manageable but it is noticeable.

That's all I do in the midwest, cold water dry suit diving. Im trying to shed some lead and switch tanks less. I usually get 3 dives per AL80, so if I can get a PST100 I may be able to go all weekend on the same tank and still weigh less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom