HP steel 120 or 130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're breathing a lot of gas awfully fast if you surface with 500 psi in a 100cf tank after doing an NDL dive to 100'. I mean that is a record volume dude unless you are hunting, taking pictures, fighting silly current, etc. So you will likely discover you breath a lot less gas over time.

For right now, you want more gas. I would research the options available in your area and consider what you can most readily sell or use for other purposes later. My suggestion is to double up two used 80's to save the money...or get another steel 100. You could sell those tanks more easily than you could sell 120's or 130's in my opinion.

--Matt

matt_unique:
You're breathing a lot of gas awfully fast if you surface with 500 psi in a 100cf tank after doing an NDL dive to 100'. I mean that is a record volume dude unless you are hunting, taking pictures, fighting silly current, etc. So you will likely discover you breath a lot less gas over time.

For right now, you want more gas. I would research the options available in your area and consider what you can most readily sell or use for other purposes later. My suggestion is to double up two used 80's to save the money...or get another steel 100. You could sell those tanks more easily than you could sell 120's or 130's in my opinion.

--Matt

That was actually my first deep dive after a long hiatus & a quick refresher (and also my first wreck dive!), so my heart was cranking at first. I also hung out for an extended safety stop before resurfacing.

Squid:
That was actually my first deep dive after a long hiatus & a quick refresher (and also my first wreck dive!), so my heart was cranking at first. I also hung out for an extended safety stop before resurfacing.

All the more reason to wait on buying new cylinders. Just go diving more.

Squid:

Well it can happen to anyone and will certainly result in a dramatic increase in air consumed. May I ask, what did you do at the point your heart began cranking? It sounds like you muscled through it so to speak. Going forward if you find your heart cranking I suggest you stop all movement and just relax until you are comfortable to continue. Signal buddies or dive guide or whoever to let them know you need to stop and relax for a bit. That will make all the difference in the world for your dive experience, your comfort, air consumed, etc.

--Matt

The OP hasn't said anything about what kind of dives he is doing. If he is doing wrecks (square profile) perhaps he needs to improve his SAC rate but if he is doing multi-level dives that we have no clue as to whether his SAC needs improving or not.

gcbryan:
The OP hasn't said anything about what kind of dives he is doing. If he is doing wrecks (square profile) perhaps he needs to improve his SAC rate but if he is doing multi-level dives that we have no clue as to whether his SAC needs improving or not.
Square profile is worst-case scenario for air consumption, and he's already said he's coming up short. If he's doing multi-level dives and still coming up that short, I'd say work on SAC is definitely called for. OTOH, everyone is different, and some people just need more air.

Squid:

He did say what kind of a dive he was doing. All the more reason to get in some more dives and think about it.

don O

Thanks for all the replies & great info guys. I just meant to say that I was a little nervous approaching my first wreck, so I'm sure that was probably another reason for my increased gas consumption. I got comfortable soon after though, and it was an awesome dive. I think I'm going to hold off for a little while on another tank purchase, but I'm leaning toward a HP steel 120 and a pony.

Back
Top Bottom