HP steel 120 or 130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Knighthawk BC, so I don't think doubles are in my immediate future. To tell you the truth, I still don't understand what the benefit of doubles is over a large single.? You only get so much time at depth, and a large single should cover it, right? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't get it. I'm talking about recreational depth limits. I also like the idea of having a totally independent pony system in case of an emergency. I currently have a Worthington HP steel 100, but they also make HP steel 120's and 130's.

I'm like Rainer, stick with the 100 but also carry a 19CF pony. The 100 gets me as close to NDL as I want to be, including a clean half depth and safety stop, and the pony is my backup if something hits the fan.

Doubles give you redundancy. If one valve or reg has an issue, you have a spare. It is like carrying a pony except it is 100cf and comfortably mounted on your back. I run out of NDL before air with my HP 100 as a single too.

100 cubic feet seems like overkill for a pony bottle. I was thinking of mounting a small one to my tank upside down so I can reach the valve easily. Or maybe slinging it so I can pass it off if need be.?

Squid:
100 cubic feet seems like overkill for a pony bottle. I was thinking of mounting a small one to my tank upside down so I can reach the valve easily. Or maybe slinging it so I can pass it off if need be.?

He is taking about doubles.

Just going to throw this out there -- doubles aren't always the immediate answer. Personally I feel they're pushed a bit too much on people who probably don't have the experience needed to start diving them. Kind of a "too far too fast" thing...

nereas:
I did not think PST was making tanks at the moment, therefore 130s and 140s are pretty hard to get in the USA right now. There are probably a fair amount of 120s floating around, though.

Worthington ( XS Scuba ) X8-130s are very easy to find in SoCal.

A single and double rigs are totally different rigs IMO...

You don't need to learn how to ride a motorcycle to drive a car.

A proper training and instructor are the key factors.

I dive a worthington HP 130 and love it. For deeper dives I like the extra gas and for shallow with friends diving 80's and can get at least 2 dives out of it. They are a bit heavy but really not bad at all. They are shorter than the 120's which I like but they are 8" diameter so if you take them on charter boats it may not fit in their rack. It is just me but I like my 130 and would buy another one.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom