HP steel 120 or 130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squid

Reaction score
HI,
When I do deeper dives to about ~100', I end up with only about 500 PSI after an extended safety stop with my HP steel 100. I was thinking of getting another bigger tank- maybe a 120 or 130, and a pony bottle for emergencies. There isn't much difference in size between a 120 and a 130. Should I just get a 130? I dive singles with my SP Knighthawk BC.
Thanks

I'm looking into the same thing right now, I'm leaning towards the 130 if I can find it at a good price.

HP120's are 7.25" in diameter; LP130's are 8". I got a set of LP104's, roughly equivalent to the HP130's and they are heavy after a long day of diving. My wife's HP100's I could carry all day long. The LP104's replaced LP125's which were not only heavy but too tall to carry easily.
Think about a 30 or 40 cube pony bottle and keep the 100's. 40's are more common and what I use for deco gasses, but a 30 sure would be easier to deal with on recreational dives.

I would not even think of advising you on what to do in regards to a cylinder purchase.....but look at the other factors that will improve your gas consumption....a bigger cylinder is not always the answer to the issue.

Having said that---I use a PST HP st130 and routenly fill to 4000psi giving me ample gas for several nice dives for sport dive profiles. I carry a 19cf pony bottle also on all rec dives.

I did not think PST was making tanks at the moment, therefore 130s and 140s are pretty hard to get in the USA right now. There are probably a fair amount of 120s floating around, though.

My own recommendation for your situation would be twin LP 72s with a manifold & bands, and a backplate, harness, & wing. Those will give you more flexibility than one huge tank as well.

Tom Winters:
HP120's are 7.25" in diameter; LP130's are 8". I got a set of LP104's, roughly equivalent to the HP130's and they are heavy after a long day of diving. My wife's HP100's I could carry all day long. The LP104's replaced LP125's which were not only heavy but too tall to carry easily.
Think about a 30 or 40 cube pony bottle and keep the 100's. 40's are more common and what I use for deco gasses, but a 30 sure would be easier to deal with on recreational dives.

If you are considering wearing a 100 on your back and a 40 slung, then twin LP 72s would give you the same volume at your disposal, and would be more balanced on your back instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom