HP Hose Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It rarely happens period."

I have seen it plenty, even with new equipment and new hoses. It is generally more the result of poor routing, hoses that are to short or rough handling, in any case, the dreaded hose protectors prevent exactly that type of damage--like it or not. N

There's always the option of diving without HP hoses, as Nemrod and I sometimes do. It's called Vintage Diving, and we rarely have a problem with the HP and LP hoses when Vintage Diving (because we don't use them:wink:, there was something invented many years ago called the J-Valve that provides adequate warning).

Seriously, I have used an SPG for my two-hose (vintage) diving for many years, and although I've had some hoses bubble (out of water) and replaced, I've not experienced this in the water. From my perspective, it is quite rare. But the engineering control is that very small, pinhole opening for the HP hose in the first stage. It may be distracting, but you if this hose fails, you should have sufficient air to get to the surface in normal sport diving situations.

Where this is a real problem is when you are doing tech or wreck diving in an overhead environment, and need all the gas you have simply to successfully egress the wreck, or complete the decompression. This is where the redundency is necessary, and having separate doubles, with a means of turning off the regulator, is then a safety measure to consider as very important.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom