HP approved in TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
I would also like to know the name of that LDS.

Thanks.

Me too please. We need to stop letting shops pull this kind of stuff with impunity.

Tom Winters:
I was cracking up reading this - the Texas DOT?
Doesn't surprise me at all...actually contemplated moving to TX once, but was denied citizenship because I kept asking why there are TX state symbols on everything you see.
They probably not only have a DOT, but I bet it's bigger and better than any other state's!

TX DOT is not a unique state agency...see list below.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/webstate.htm

HP tanks are readily available in Texas. The LDS that came up with this lame-brain statement needs to be publically humiliated...so, give up the name.

Boondocks:
Excuse My ignorance but why does the addition of a wetsuit make a steel tank a bad choice?? :06: Thanks!
Some steel tanks are so negatively buoyant that you end up overweighted, even without wearing any lead. Even if it doesn't leave you overweighted, it can leave you without any ditchable weight. These problems are even more likely if you use steel tanks for doubles with a wetsuit. The potential problem is that you might end up deep, very negatively buoyant due to compression of multiple layers of thick wetsuit, and be unable to swim back up in the case of a BCD failure. (Of course, ditching weight would get you into an unconrolled buoyant ascent as the thick wetsuit uncompresses, but at least you wouldn't get stuck on the bottom). If instead of wearing a thick wetsuit you have a drysuit, then you have it as a redundant source of buoyancy.

The real test is whether or not you can swim yourself back up from deep with a BCD failure. With a lot of steel tank + wetsuit configurations, this isn't a problem.

The problem isn't really steel tanks --- you could have the same situation with thick wetsuits + aluminum tanks + heavy backplate + fixed V-weights -- steel tanks are just the most common way of getting into this problem.

thanks all, I have gone out and bought a new HP from a shop who could come through. I don't want to comment on the name of the shop who wouldn't help me, since I will run into the owner frequently on future trips. Suffice it to say that the shop is in another town, not Austin. I love my new tank, and really do appreciate the advice!

xSandman3:
Doesn't surprise me at all...actually contemplated moving to TX once, but was denied citizenship because I kept asking why there are TX state symbols on everything you see.
They probably not only have a DOT, but I bet it's bigger and better than any other state's!

Well, you know the slogan... "Texas, it's like a whole other country."

RumBum:
thanks all, I have gone out and bought a new HP from a shop who could come through. I don't want to comment on the name of the shop who wouldn't help me, since I will run into the owner frequently on future trips. Suffice it to say that the shop is in another town, not Austin. I love my new tank, and really do appreciate the advice!

When you run in to him on future trips, look him closely in the eyes. Maybe you will be able to tell when he stops thinking about how he took advantage of you.

RumBum:

Way to go. When I bought my PST e7-120s. The shop owner loaned me 2 of his personal Hp 120s for me to use for 3 months while I waited for them to come in. That shop was jerking you around. Make sure you give the other shop all your future business.

What a shyster. Glad you got your $$ back. I'd be a real pain and casually ask him if the TX DOT got the whole tank thing straightened out while on a boat full of divers.

What's really funny is I am trying to think of how many people MAY have posted an adamant 'must only support your LDS' argument for this guy.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom