hp 80 vs. hp 100 steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI,

Just curious why you have ruled out worthington tanks. The price is decent and the quality is god. I have and hp100, and hp80 (pst) and much prefer the 100. Though it has been my experience that i can get reliable "good" fills around here (greater boston area), a short or hot fill with the hp100 still yields as much if not more gas than a full hp80. Another consideration for you is your size. Some people really prefer the short stubby hp80. I know that pgdive in newton (pgdive.com) rents both hp100 and hp80 steel tanks if you feel that trying them both out would be beneficial. I hope this helps. Good luck.

bert

Thank you all for helpful comments. i eneded up buying Faber HP-100 (Blue Steel) from diversdirect.com - $250 with a valve - great deal.

P.S. in response to SteveFass - i did not consider 85LP because of their bouyancy (-3.80 full, +2.32 empty), i want to carry less weight (just enough for an emergency ascend). in terms of weight on land - not big difference as compared to either HP80 or HP100). my lds do HP fills. in terms of boats... so far I had to bring my own full tanks.

cap_bert:
HI,

Just curious why you have ruled out worthington tanks. The price is decent and the quality is god.

bert

i originally found a place that offered a better price on Faber tanks compared to Worthington tanks' price elsewhere. I have no doudts that the quality is good. it was ultimately the price that made the difference. and at the end i got the tank for even cheaper price (thanks to SB).

minor thing - and i'm not sure if it's true, just read somewhere - Faber tanks are made the same way for European market as for the US customers. They can fill up to 300 bar in Eupore, meaning they are always underfilled in the USA. Hence, increased longetivity. Again, this is a very minor point in my decision making and i don't want to start a debate.

You're going to have a very poor time getting two dives on one HP100 (I know, it's what I dive here in MA). Just buy a second while they're still on sale, or kick yourself later. I know the dive sites you're diving, and even though most shore dives here are shallow, you'll still want a bigger cylinder. And you will not be getting full fills. I generally end up with 3200-3300 (sure, if you're willing to wait around for awile, or leave your tanks between fills, you can get ~3500, but it's not to be expected). You're going to be a lot happier buying a second.

get the 100, I just got a X8-119 and love it, longer bottom time on those shore dives requiring a long surface swim or greater depth or 2 shorter shallower dives and if I bring it on a boat and it only gets filled to 2800 or so, I still got about 95cf. Just need to pony up for one more now. Taking the 6#s off my belt (vs AL80) is nice too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom