How's Business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just know that since there's a college there, there are vans going to Bangkok/Victory Monument, and I know that Pak Thong Chai is in the Korat area, but of course I don't know how the places relate to one another and your home in terms of distance.... Hope it works out.

Quero, Paya Thai and Makkasan have both express lines and they're worth taking over the 'normal line', less crowded and fast. Only 15 minutes from the airport to Makkassan, which connects to the subway system. I paid just 150,-THB last month for a round trip ticket as part of a promotion.

Good to know. It's my understanding that going to Makassan requires taking a taxi or walking 300 meters, so with dive gear it might be a hassle. And also the Express trains may be faster, but they are not as frequent, so sometimes the wait time is longer than it would take on the local. But whatever works, works! I rarely use the public transport when I've got luggage, so I just take a taxi to/from the airport. Taxis in Bangkok are cheap enough that the hassle of dragging luggage around outweighs the extra small expense!

Hi Quero, yes the Makkasan transfer is a joke, it's more than 300 meters walk, it's about a 300m walk just inside the station and a good 500-600 meter outside to the subway. A well thought out transfer, not! When I used the airport train last month I only had carry on and it's as convenient as one can think of! With luggage it's a nightmare! The local trains were chock full when I saw them passing by.

I've decided to do the trip in two days. Turns out the vans take the same long detour as the buses so the journey is still 6+ hours. I'd have to leave Korat around 3 AM to be sure of making my flight. No worries. I can handle one night in Bangkok. Kind of makes a hard man humble.

Now all I need is for Suvarnabhumi to stay dry and for the buses to keep running!

Back
Top Bottom