Howe Sound Sunday/Monday vis report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a dive at the day marker at Whytecliff with Skookumchuck on Sunday. I'd say vis was about 20-30'. Skookumchuck thought it was a bit less. It seemed best at around 50-60 feet. On Sunday I was hoping to try Porteau Cove (where I was certified in 1997), but when I got there, the bay was a white frothy mess with logs crashing around and steep, 3-foot, curling-over waves. (it seems to be like this whenever I've tried Porteau in the last few years. I didn't feel like a long surface swim in that so I wimped out and went to Kelvin Grove. Vis there was 30-40 feet. Nice dive. -Alot more stuff on the wall than there was back in the '90s.

Our dive at Porteau the day before was pretty good with swells and troughs but no whitecaps. Vis was quite good on the surface (could see the bottom at the firehose) but a bit murkier at depth. No octos again. It was cold and miserable for us in the morning at PC (we were the only early group out there) but sunny and festive at WC in the afternoon (?).

It was nice to meet you at WC and put a face to the pseudonym. I already know Andrew so he doesn't count :wink:

Kelvin vis was great on Sunday. I was at 40ft and looked up to see the surface no problem.

swankenstein did I run into you at Kelvin on Sunday? I was packing up with my dive buddy as three guys in a pickup were getting geared up...

Kelvin vis was great on Sunday. I was at 40ft and looked up to see the surface no problem.

swankenstein did I run into you at Kelvin on Sunday? I was packing up with my dive buddy as three guys in a pickup were getting geared up...

No, I was there on Monday at about noon in an old Toyota station wagon. By the way, I'm assuming the "no diving" bylaw was overturned? -Or is it just not being enforced now?

I don't know if it was overturned or just allowed to fall by the wayside but that issue resolved itself well for divers in the end. Where we used to have to purchase an $8 parking pass from the marina we now have 5 or 6 free visitor designated parking spots in the upper parking lot. Most interactions with the locals since then have been freindly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom