Howdy from Tejas! New to the board, very new to Scuba!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooners

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well hello all! Thought I would go ahead and introduce myself. I found this board a few weeks ago and havent spent hours viewing posts! (yeah, yeah I have a lot of time on my hands). I just graduated from college and now its time to have some fun! I'm not certifed yet, but start that on Sept. 7, cant wait! Ive been wanting to dive for a while, but with school and work (and maybe being a little lazy) I never did it. Well, now is the time! I plan on spending A LOT of time in the water, as well as, being on the board!

Thanks in advance for questions I ask! Im sure I'll have a lot so bare with me :wink:

B

Hi there, B.

I thought "Sooners" was Oklahoma? Welcome to Scubaboard! Good luck and have a great time in class. It only gets better and more expensive from there :).

Hey! Yup you are correct! Sooners is in fact Oklahoma. I lived there for a looong time and went to school there. I actually just moved to texas in May. The reason why I have so much time on my hand haha. Thank you! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to starting! It cant come soon enough. Expensive, yeah everything I like to do seems to be really expenisve.....why is that (haha).

Sooners, don't think of the gear as expensive. . . just divide it out over the next 40 years, and it is a bargain. Even though you're not certified yet, look around the board, there is something for any interest. There are some good diving lakes in Texas, but a long way from Tyler. Oklahoma has some lakes to dive. Broken Bow lake in south east part of the state, is a good diving lake when the storms aren't hurting the visibility, common everywhere. Lake Murray is in the south central part of the state and is popular with divers. A longer drive, southwest Oklahoma has Lake Elmer Thomas at the foot of Mt Scott, in the Wichita Wildlife refuge.

A longer drive, but in Southwest Arkansas, Lake DeGray and Ouachita lake are excellent, and Arkansas allows spearfishermen 1/2 a limit of game fish, for that supper over a camp fire.

Click on the "Forums" button at the top of the page, it opens a long list of topics categorized for easy searching. At the top of the list are topics for new divers. . . scroll way down the list to "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs", A search under "Central United States" will give Oklahoma and Arkansas topics, under "Midwest Muck Divers". Choose the Texas topics and you can meet Texas dive opportunities
But before you read everything there is to know about diving, and get a headache, go back to the top of the page and look through the photo gallery. Look at the "why" we're all diving. And welcome to the board.

And look for the rig dives in the gulf, the Flower Gardens NMS, and the Texas Clipper for some good ol' salt water options.

Although I'd suggest holding off until you're fairly comfortable diving before doing these.

Welcome to the board.

As said previously, don't think of your gear as expensive... I don't. I think of it as an investment in my safety and nothing less. :)

Good luck with your class, you will enjoy it!

Hello mud, pearl and jeff! Thanks for the advice! I had no idea there was diving in Oklahoma haha. Im actually heading to Broken Bow for some camping. Too bad I wont be able to dive. I love that area though. I go there camping quite a bit. Lake Murray sounds pretty nice. I've only been there once and from what I remember it was actually a pretty nice lake. The Gulf, now that would be fun! I will definitely do that, but will wait till I have more experience!

Haha I like what you guys said about equipment being expensive. Makes sense :wink:. Now when I start buying my stuff I wont feel bad at all! I've just always had a inital Oh **** when I spend large amounts of money. However, if I space it out just a wee bit I should be fine :) Thanks again for the advice! Much appreciated!

Welcome,

You have come to the right place to ask, answer and have a great time. Once you done in September you'll be a different and better person. Diving will do that to ya, like it or not. Welcome to our playground!!!!

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom