How would you describe the experience of SCUBA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal preference is night diving, or at least diving in darker waters where you really get the "astronaut" feeling: floating in space, free to go wherever you wish. Or you can just hang there and watch life go by. The surreal feeling of it, however, I have never felt anywhere else before or since.

Peace,
Greg

... a slow motion sky dive to another planet ... the "real" water planet ...

I like to tell people that diving is the closest sensation you'll ever get to flying. When I was a kid, when I was on a theater balcony, I would imagine myself flying around over the audience. With diving, I can actually do something like that.

Life changing, once weightless U/W it changed my path from the corporate world to diving.

Solo, in a California Kelp bed is the best therapy for me.

An interesting anecdote- as it happens, some training for space missions, in pressure suits, is done in water-

To put simply, It is like being able to fly. No up or down to speak of.:D

Therapy...

For me,I think my sig quote by JC says it all.

Serenity. Nothing else matters anymore. The world slows itself down, sometimes stands completely still, just for you. All the pressure you felt before is just gone. Gravity has disappeared. All but the most calming of sounds are gone. Light acts strangely. It's the world I would rather be in.

Not flying, but gliding. Senses acute. Soaring and sinking, slipping seamlessly through an element that once was our own, and which, with just a little technology, can be ours once again, albeit temporarily.

Wonderfully calm, yet invigoratingly alert, completely in control, yet at the capricious whim and mercy of something greater. Looking in wide-eyed wonder, yet feeling at home.

That's how I'd describe diving. In fact, not just diving, but pretty much every dive.

Back
Top Bottom