How would you compare Raja Ampat to Fiji for bigger pelagic diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for some diving where they'll be some big stuff like sharks and mantas as well as the million fish and amazing colors.

Comparing 10-11 day liveaboard diving, I'm wondering how Raja Ampat will compare for the big stuff to Fiji for example. I'm thinking it should be pretty good in Fiji but I'm not sure about Raja Ampat. Raja is of course known for amazing critters but not sure about bigger stuff.

What's your experience?

RA. Some places with Mantas. Not a shark zoo. Woebegongs, epaulets, and maybe an odd Black or White Tip. Some folks on a boat I was on a few months ago wanted "big" stuff. Spent all of their dives deep - 100-130 feet. If you are willing to do that maybe you might see larger creatures. Generally not an RA features.

I find the diving amazing in the Papua area of Raja (Sorido resort). Plenty of Mantas, large bumphead parrot fish and zillions of different marine....but not many Sharks a Black tip or White tip here and there....Have not been to Fiji but I head to Palau or to Fakarava for my Shark fix.

I wouldn't describe either as a great place for pelagics. Fiji has the awesome shark dive and some cool spots for sharks on the liveaboard routes. Read my Fiji trip report.

Raja Ampat is also an awesome place. They are both among my favourite places to have visited. But again not much in the way of big stuff. Some mantas yes. Sharks? Not a chance. All fished to hell. Here is my trip report from a Banda to Raja Ampat liveaboard.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom