How/where do I properly learn to drive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He came here asking for training. LOL
As for parking a large single screw... It's not my boat, just the boat I'm paid to move :)
It just doesn't matter to me, I'll take the guy who can do his job but speaks like an idiot over the guy who can talk a great game and can't move a row boat any day.

Same thing that goes in diving. There are people who can answer every single question on any written test I give them, but they looked like hammered shiat in the water. Which one do you think I prefer to dive with?

There's also a kind of reverse snobbery around nautical terms.....I've been around some very very experienced sailors who tend not to use the "correct" terms.

I have to go out on ships occasionally in my line of work, I love watching them twitch when I talk about the kitchen, bathroom, walls, stairs and floors

Reactions: Ana
Let me start by saying that my nitpicking over nomenclature was meant in good fun, hence the smiley face. I would certainly pardon our Swedish friend for the very slight lapse, as I would native English speakers.

He came here asking for training. LOL
As for parking a large single screw... It's not my boat, just the boat I'm paid to move :)
It just doesn't matter to me,
I'll take the guy who can do his job but speaks like an idiot over the guy who can talk a great game and can't move a row boat any day.

Same thing that goes in diving. There are people who can answer every single question on any written test I give them, but they looked like hammered shiat in the water. Which one do you think I prefer to dive with?
Yes, but hopefully those are not the only choices. If you had a choice of who to be, you'd be the guy who speaks and performs like a professional.

There's also a kind of reverse snobbery around nautical terms.....I've been around some very very experienced sailors who tend not to use the "correct" terms.
They didn't get their experience in the military, as my Dad did—of that I'm sure. :wink:

I have to go out on ships occasionally in my line of work, I love watching them twitch when I talk about the kitchen, bathroom, walls, stairs and floors

I also go on different size vessels for work, and depending on the tune I get from the crew I'd use similar names, the worse reaction is when I refer to the floor... I love it.

The Padi/IYT dive boat training is the only one I know of. My daughter has the IYT power boat/sailing vessel crew certification and even though she had been working on boats for years I thought she learned a lot. She can't log boating hours until she is 16 for her captains liscense but it seemed to be a good start for some one wanting to be a captain. Whats good about IYT is that not only is it recognized by US Coast Gaurd but also in other countries as well.

I copied this from Sunset House's webpage.
International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT WW) in cooperation with the PADI Dive Organization is pleased to introduce the new Dive Boat Captain Program - professionally recognized boating qualifications specifically targeted to meet the needs of the diving industry. page.

I'm an idiot for asking that question in deliberately newbie wording. It's not that I don't know quite a bit of the jargon, I was trying to be rather obvious about the fact that I don't actually know anything about the precise thing I asked about, as well as troll a tiny bit. (I do know rather a bit about the proper way to "simply" get a boat to the right place, I assure you.)

My play would have worked out just fine, if I hadn't suddenly gotten violently ill for a couple days. Sorry about that.

Oh, and thus far, rambalbi's response was very interesting. I've always wanted to go to NZ, anyway.

I'm an idiot for asking that question in deliberately newbie wording. It's not that I don't know quite a bit of the jargon, I was trying to be rather obvious about the fact that I don't actually know anything about the precise thing I asked about, as well as troll a tiny bit. (I do know rather a bit about the proper way to "simply" get a boat to the right place, I assure you.)

My play would have worked out just fine, if I hadn't suddenly gotten violently ill for a couple days. Sorry about that.

Oh, and thus far, rambalbi's response was very interesting. I've always wanted to go to NZ, anyway.

That would be scuba board curse for trolls... go ahead post more.

I guess here in the northwest, where we have big currents big tide exchanges and poor vis some times. Then also worry where the divers are is Kind of stress full. After saying all of that, 1st learn the proper wording like port, starboard, stern ect. Then get with some divers who own or rent boats, help out with operation of the boat and divers, ask questions lots of question about why did you do that? Is this the correct way? if not can you show me. Remember there are no dum question except the ones that are not ask! We prefer to have more then one operator on the boats, we would like almost everybody to learn how to operate the boats because you never know when some one is needed. Just remember most boats are the same they just handle a little different in the curent and wind. Hope this helps.
DennisDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom