How/where do I properly learn to drive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really? You guys are all upset because he didn't use the terminology you thought he should use?
Dude, come to FL, I'll learn you to drive that thar floaty thang.

really? You guys are all upset because he didn't use the terminology you thought he should use?
Dude, come to FL, I'll learn you to drive that thar floaty thang.

15 years ago, I would have agreed.....but "nautical language" seems to be pretty standard amongst the boating community (sail or power)

Think....if someone came on here and said " Ive been diving for years...but..can someone help me adjust the breathing thingy to work better."

maybe the terms are different where the guy is, do you know what's his native language.... maybe the pointy end of the vessel is called something that we wouldn't understand.

I've been driving boats for years. I do it for a living..... I suck on the breathy thingy too when I have CRS and forget it's name.

Me too Wookie. Well at least I used to. My step-father was that type of guy that if you didn't use the proper terminology he acted like an a-hole. It's just not that important.

Which would you rather have? A guy who has the lingo down, or the guy who can park a single screw in the slip on a fast moving river?

I grew up in a marina, been running boats for as long as I can remember, know my knots, the people at the marina used to come to me to rig their lines, I still have my palm and needles, been to sea on a lot of different class vessels, know the difference between a boat and a ship, and I have my old z-card somewhere in a box; but you know, I still love getting out and driving my boat.

Oh yeah, I don't get bent outta shape when someone refers to their flippers, goggles, or breathing oxygen.

I understand the difference between wire, rope, and line, and when it makes a difference, terminology is important to communications, but when I've arrived at the dock and I tell the deckhand to use the doublebraid rope, no, that one there, the point is made. I can understand driving a boat, but I don't teach it well. (No, like this, don't you frigging get it?).

My wife just this morning referred to the left side of our boat. LOL.
That didn't bother me either.

Sorry guys - but I have to disagree

If it was a language barrier with someone - then I understand and apologize. Otherwise - I dont get it.

Zieg - notice your natural inclination was to say that you have been "RUNNING" boats - which is fine.....

I just think that with experience, and training - usually the accurate description and terminology is used - in any area. To make poor nautical language acceptable would be analogous to those who tried to legitimize ebonics as a language, instead of improper english.

To each his own, I guess. Call it what you want, and what you feel comfortable with. I would be willing to be that you guys that truely do run boats, usually refer to the correct terminology 99% of the time, even if you are comfoftable with those who do not.

Just my experience being around boats my whole life.

Im not saying that if someone is on my boat - I correct them for saying LEFT instead or PORT...because I dont. In fact - when Im talking to people that I know dont have a clue, I try to say "its on the Port, or left side" so they understand what Im asking for....

I just dont think you "drive" a boat for any more than a couple years......after that, you realize that you are "running" the boat, "captaining the boat", "handling the boat", etc.....

And for the record, if I tried to put a large single screw boat in a slip without a bow thruster, and with a strong wind or current.......I would feel like I did a long time ago when I did "drive" my boat.....and everyone watched and laughed as I got back to the dock!!!

I also find it interesting how people come on here and talk about diving and use a single wrong word in a post......and you see DOZENS of replies that basically say " if you call it that you dont have enough training and you are going to kill yourself.....get more training"...... But for some reason with boating, where you not only have your life that you are responsible for, but others as well......we look at it differently.

Back
Top Bottom