How was this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies, we're going to go ahead and rent some gear and head down tomorrow. do you need a float or flag at BW? Is it required? We had one last weekend but it was for certs.

If the red tide is still in bloom I'd stay out of the breakwater, it sucks. Watch the swell height / direction and try to get in Point Lobos. During the week day you should be able to get in fine.

Last edited:
Red tide is the generic name for an algal bloom regardless if it is red or not. Many algal blooms are harmful as they reduce oxygen concentrations in the water and also contain toxins that can accumulate in filter feeders. Some harmful algal blooms can cause skin irritation, but I haven't noticed that with the Monterey variety. Getting a little in your mouth is not the end of the world, where it becomes a problem is if you eat any filter feeders (shellfish, etc) that have been eating the algae for a while. You could get a concetrated dose, which is not good. When the red tide is around, it can normally be found from Del monte beach to Otter cove. It usually is sits in the top 20-40 feet of water, so you can get under it if there is enough depth. Since it usually lowers the oxygen level in the water, fish tend to leave the area.

So take a hint from the fish. Stillwater cove, Monastery and Pt. Lobos should be nice all week.

We went ahead and went out there today. As we swam out, the water was crystal clear. We descended at about 15 feet because my girlfriend has an easier time clearing her ears if we just follow the gradual slope of the bottom. We went out on a heading parallel with the wall, turned right and came back along it. All in all it was a good first outing by ourselves (we were the only ones there until we packing up to leave).I think we're gonna stay around breakwater for our next couple of outings so we can practice some more, but I can't wait to checkout Lobos and some of the other places I keep reading about!

The breakwater was crystal clear?!?! I've heard the breakwater described in a lot of ways; crystal clear has never been one of them until now.

I'd say around 25ft or so. For some of the vets around here that may not be much, but compared to the weekend we did our checkout dives it was like someone had turned the lights on.

I'd say around 25ft or so. For some of the vets around here that may not be much, but compared to the weekend we did our checkout dives it was like someone had turned the lights on.

That's awesome! 25 ft. at the breakwater is a pretty darn good day for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom