How to White Balance a Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annie Crawley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Recently someone sent me a private message:

I just purchased the Amphibico white balance slate. I have a few questions.
1. What is the best way to white balance with the slate?
2. What is the starburst design on the white balance for?
3. Are the color bars on the back used for anything underwater?

And here is my answer:

Many people do not understand the importance of white balancing underwater. The Amphibico White Balance slate is the best on the market because of the color bars, the spiral and the white (with bluish tint) on the back. I am going to post an article next week on the color bar portion of the slate, but will try and explain it in user terms here.

First of all the spiral on the back is for focus. In professional film cameras and larger systems like the Sony F900 High Def Video Camera they need to be back focused. Also when you are underwater, it is sometimes difficult to know if you are in focus. You can use these lines for this purpose. You can white balance in two different ways under the water. You can either use the same side of the slate with the spirals and fill most of your frame with white to white balance, or you can use the color bar chart and fill the frame with the color bars by zooming all the way in (excluding the black border of the slate) and fill this image with the color bars and white balance off of that. You can also hit record for a few seconds before and after the white balance to see the effect on your image. If you do this, then you can see the importance of white balance. In addition, many of the software packages, Final Cut Pro and Avid, have color bars and you can see how close you are matching to these.

You also want to remember that you need to white balance early and often. Anytime your lighting changes. When shooting on land, the presets work well in many of the cameras today and you do not have to re-white balance that often. But underwater, you need to white balance every five feet or so...unless you are shooting macro and filling your subject with the light from your video lights. I hope that was not confusing...if your lights that you carry with you are the only source of illumination (like when you are night diving) then the color temperature will not fluctuate. It will fluctuate with the sun's light and depth for any system. Therefore you need to white balance every time you change depths or lighting conditions. Don't forget to always shoot with the sun at your back unless going for the silhouette look...or some other look...but for video you need light.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Annie

hi annie ,

we have a sony hfs100 , had a shop sell us a custom housing ect, but we cant manually set the white balance so i have to use the auto setting , do i just set it and leave it or do i need to take a white slate too. i got a red plastic gel the same as they use on stage lighting but i dont think this is correct , would a propper red colour filter make the diffrence.... as you can see i have no idea what is going on , please help

thank you

Annie hasn't been online here since Nov 2009.

If you can't MWB - don't have a control to activate it - then carrying a slate is useless.

Except that you might want to occasionally shoot the slate for purposes of "showing" your editing s/w what white was later in post-edit. Some s/w has an option to set a reference point from which it will color correct. Mine doesn't so that's all I know about this.

If you have AWB options try changing them also. I've read of people getting good results with an "outdoor" white balance setting. Mine (Sony HC1) looked kind of harsh when I tried it.

You probably want to get an u/w filter from UR/Pro or one of their dealers. They're optimized for u/w color correction, your red gel may not be - IDK. UR/Pro Underwater Camera Filters

How can Annie be a host / coach if her latest appearance was back Nov 09 :confused:

here's my quick response..put it on AWB and forget. Adjust it in PS. There are other, more improtant things to worry about in taking pictures UW then WB...

Auto white balance is the DEVIL. If you can't manually white balance the camera then shoot 2 seconds of slate every time you change depth 10ft. That will at least give you a fighting chance in post to get it closer to right. However, at some point, you're going to clip the blue or green channels, and there will be no getting the colors back.

All AWB does is give you a consistently wrong, and every changing target to try to fix. I wouldn't wish it on anyone in post. I've done it for others, and you couldn't pay me to do it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom