How to use a manifold/how does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Time for another question from someone that only has experiance with single tank diving. I have got myself setup with doubles and an isolation manifold. I intend to practice in a pool using this setup but after having played around with it I'm a bit confused. Can anyone explain what combinations you need to practice ie. How do I use both tanks at once or isolate from left to right, in whatever combinations that could be encountered. ie. does the on/off for the centre valve operate clockwise or counter clock wise and as for the left and the right side does one operate in one direction with the other working in a different direction?

Cheers

Alex

Righty, tighty; lefty, loosey. Open all three valves (counterclockwise rotation, yes, the right post and left post turn in "opposite" directions since the posts are facing in "opposite" directions) and leave them that way. Basically, you won't ever close the center valve unless there is serious trouble - something you'll practice for by doing a shut-down drill on every dive.

Moving from a single tank to doubles works a whole lot easier if you do it with someone who is experienced lending you a hand. You're going to need help and advice trimming out and someone to teach you how to do shut down drills and generally make sure you don't get off on the left foot with a bunch of bad habits. If you don't have any friends that dive doubles, find an instructor and spend an hour or two in the pool with them going over the basics and getting the tanks set up correctly for you.

thanks for that, makes alot of sence. Its certainly a whole new ball game! I've posted another thread as once i've got the whole lot on my back I'm finding it impossible to reach the valves. Not sure if that just due to the sheer weight pulling the tanks back or the height adjustment of the tanks/bands. Sub question, would I even have that trouble with a BP/wings??

alexxred:
thanks for that, makes alot of sence. Its certainly a whole new ball game! I've posted another thread as once i've got the whole lot on my back I'm finding it impossible to reach the valves. Not sure if that just due to the sheer weight pulling the tanks back or the height adjustment of the tanks/bands. Sub question, would I even have that trouble with a BP/wings??
Get thee to the water with somebody who has been diving doubles for a long time. Everybody needs a little help when they first start learning the drunken turtle dance - you just can't learn this stuff on the internet.

A true backplate/wing combo is superior to the TransPac for doubles: better stability, better security, better adaptability, etc. The TransPac will do in a pinch but it's going to make learning a lot harder.

Back
Top Bottom