How to Travel with Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about buying my own wetsuit. I generally do not get too cold. But I see that most people wit their own suits seem to have full body suits. Two questions: Is there a best starter suit (3mm full e.g.)? And, if I dive 24 hours before I come home, how do you dry the suit in time to get it home in a suitcase without weighing a ton?

only wetsuit I own is a 3mm full Henderson Hyperstrech. that is the suit I wear if Im in the tropics and like our last trip to Bonaire it was raining the last day so I couldn't air dry it.....so I just hung it over an air vent and it was dry by the time I was ready to pack it

I take a 3/2 on tropic dives. I roll it up in a towel to add a small amount of protection from creases. It has always dried in the 30 hours between last dive and fly time.

You don't say where and when you are diving, of course that makes a huge difference.

I dive a 3/2 shortie on my Fla Keys and Carribean trips, I have a son who uses a 5mm full suit and another that dives in a dive skin. The season, location and your tolerence for cold are the deciding factors. The number of dives can also make a difference. If you are doing four or more with inadequate protection you will start getting chilled.

I usually just hang the suit on a balcony rail or chair outside and let them dry as much as I can. Worst case hang them in the shower. They may still be damp, but not too much to pack. I usually have a couple of large trash bags in my dive gear bag to segregate any wet items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom