How to test the real best gear....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow, I knew this was coming up Nemrod :wink: just before I clicked on the thread. :D

Well, I know that "best" is a relative and subjective term as often used casually even by the dive travel magazines but don't you think there should be something other than a few hired guns/editors (who probably majored in English and not Engineering)/non independent lab to quantify "best" before you stick it on a product and then center stage it as "Best Gear" in a magazine? I and most people fully understand best for me or them is not best for some other person but without arguing the definition of "is" I kinda have an idea of what I take "best" to mean and I ain't seeing it.

Here is the deal--this would give the dive travel magazines some cred--howabout a "Worst Gear Ever" or a Worst Gear of 07" to follow up the "Best Of 07." Just to provide a contrast and put "best" in some context.

N

I volunteer to test in the warm Florida waters.

Well, I know that "best" is a relative and subjective term as often used casually even by the dive travel magazines but don't you think there should be something other than a few hired guns/editors (who probably majored in English and not Engineering)/non independent lab to quantify "best" before you stick it on a product and then center stage it as "Best Gear" in a magazine? I and most people fully understand best for me or them is not best for some other person but without arguing the definition of "is" I kinda have an idea of what I take "best" to mean and I ain't seeing it.

Here is the deal--this would give the dive travel magazines some cred--howabout a "Worst Gear Ever" or a Worst Gear of 07" to follow up the "Best Of 07." Just to provide a contrast and put "best" in some context.

N

I agree 100%. And for the record, I am not a fan of Spare Air and shared that in another thread. It does make the mag "Best Gear" seem like a joke. I would also like to see a "Top Worst Gear" and unbiased, objective reviews of equipment. But, sadly, marketing departments for most companies just won't have it. I work for a large company(seen in my profile) and we go through battles with the marketing dept. all the time about the most ignorant things. We want certain things said to "inform" the customer that marketing flat won't even talk about. They don't want to say anything that the product will NOT work with and they want to give the appearance of it will do all for all. I understand some of it and I'm trying not to go into any detail, but you get what I'm saying. Some of it is just tedious BS.

I won't even look at some mags for the reasons you were stating. They don't want to write anything fair and unbiased since those companies are the hands that feed them. Makes it sad for us that want truthful input about products. Of course, that's one of the reasons I love this board. There are some very experienced divers(like yourself Nemrod:D) that I respect their input on things and feel I will get good, honest feedback regarding products and their true worth.

I hope that made sense. I was kinda rambling on. :blinking:

Who decides what is "best" and "worst?" I agree that an independent testing of a diversified mix of diving experience who try out equipment and express their opinions give better reports than the "experts" who try to persuade everyone that brand "X" provides better support than brand "Y." Feedback from "real" divers in "real" environments means more to me than BS advertisers that can sell barren land to cattle farmers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom