How to test/service/fix a used wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I was given an older wing, that I would quite like to use, however, the person who gave it to me hasn't used it a long time and said it should be checked out prior to diving on it.

So just get a tank and inflate the wing in a pool with some weights to see if it leaks underwater? The internal bladder isn't made anymore (and is an odd size), so if it leaks is it dead or is that something that is patchable (and are patches considered safe to dive or is just better to get a new wing)?

Looks like replacing the power inflator and hose are pretty cheap and easy (along with dive gear expresses tool for a save the dive kit). Even if it works now is it recommended to replace?

What should I look for at the dump valve, other than of course does it open/close as intended? Are they easy to replace? Are they more or less universal?

Any o-rings that I should pay attention to/replace/lubricate or ones to not?

Any other areas of the wing I should closely inspect, or any generic tips/tricks/cautions when going over a wing?

Sorry for all the questions this is my first time doing DIY gear servicing (also my first wing!) and I'd rather not have to pay for a new one if this one works even with a bit of sweat equity and replacement parts!

check if it holds air, check the inflator and dumps work. dumps and inflator are relatively cheap to replace. patching the bladder is possible with aquaseal, but the bladder may start failing in a different location or at the repair site again before too long.

So if the bladder is starting to go, it may not be worth it since I can't easily replace it, and it is probably more prone to future failures once it has failed once?

since it was free, patch it up as needed and get what use you can out of it. a tube of aquaseal isn't expensive. inflator, dumps, etc can be reused off the wing when it gives up the ghost.

since it was free, patch it up as needed and get what use you can out of it. a tube of aquaseal isn't expensive. inflator, dumps, etc can be reused off the wing when it gives up the ghost.

Oh okay, I guess I was worried if it started leaking then the odds of some sort of catastrophic failure were higher (it's silly but for some reason, I have this picture of the wing just popping entirely underwater)

what is the brand?

Inflate the wing to max orally and let sit overnight. If its full 10hrs later, I wouldnt worry about it. Even if its a little deflated, I still wouldnt worry about it. A rec dive is an hour duration and if properly weighted you'll only inflate your wing fully at the beginning and end of the dive for a few mins.

You can patch most bladders, Aquaseal and a small piece cut from an old bicycle tire work well. You can also make some bladders fit into other brands shell.

As for testing it, submerge the bladder and look for leaks, with the shell on it is normal to see some bubbles from trapped air escaping. It's simpler than you may think. Make sure the inflator and hose are firmly attached and not leaking.

If it is a Dive Rite then it used standard parts that can be purchased cheaply at Dive Gear Express. First, unzip the wing and check out the condition of the bladder. If there is dirt, salt, bugs, etc. clean it out. Second, inflate the wing orally to see if it hold air and for how long. If you are losing air take it to your tub or a pool to check for bubbles. Third, check if the power inflator works. A new one is $20 or you can try rebuilding the old one. Finally, check that the dump valve works. A new one is $5 at DGX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom