How to store spring straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fporreco

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finally bought some spring straps, should I take them off after each dive or just leave them on the fins? Will the springs be affected if left on the fins or should they be taken off and stored straight?

I take my springs off, but they just quickly click on and off, and it's easier to pull them off Plus for storage... they also aren't straps that are made for my fins... And I had to modify my fins to get the straps on...

The springs should be at rest when attached, else they are too short. So, should be no problem to leave attached. I have not removed mine and they still function fine after 3 years.

Technically speaking, removing and adding the springs will cause them to degrade faster than just leaving them in place.

Springs don’t degrade through constant tension/ compression..... they degrade through cycles.

If you take a spring and compress it for 1 year, and you take another spring and continually compress and relax it for a year... the constantly compressed spring will be stronger than the worked spring.

That being said, the amount of work spring straps see is minimal..... so neither option is going to fatigue the spring in the usable life of the fin.

i have never taken my stainless steel springs off my fins and they seem fine after 10 years..love them and never give them a second thought.

I just got spring heel straps. I think they are decent. Wouldn’t go out on a limb and say that I’m in love with them though. The strandard Tusa fin straps were definitely way more comfortable. You could adjust them for comfort. Now you have a fixed spring dictating how much tension you’re going to have on your heel and no control whatsoever. But hey... they were a fun new toy to spend $30 on LOL!!! To be fair I think they are way more robust than the standard rubber heel straps. I can’t imagine accidentally breaking one. The fins will probably wear out and break Long before the straps ever give it up. Tusa T3 zooms. Split fins.

Rinse them in fresh water, let um dry, store um.

Then get them out and go blow bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom