Question How to store O2 sensors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wondering if storing O2 sensors in small plastic bags would be beneficial when not mounted in the head. Would it be good for gas analyser which also has a sensor inside?

The thinking would be to limit the exposure to moving air when not in use.

You would probably be doing more damage to the electrical connectors doing all the connecting and disconnecting each time you go to bag them up.
I guess you could put the entire head in a plastic bag or storage tub.

I don't worry about it, I'm going to bin the sensors after they've been in a unit for 12 months anyway.

Don't bother removing or specially storing them. If you keep them in a sealed, ready to dive CCR that is not different than storing in a ziplock bag. Just keep your unit in a cool dry place whenever possible.

It's really a non-issue. If your rebreather has molex connectors then I honestly believe you're more at risk of stressing the wiring / pins everytime you take the cells out. Some units like the rEvo, Defender / X-CCR (and others?) have a removeable cell tray that allow you to bring cells inside to dry. Useful for multi-day trips when rebreather might stay in the car or on a boat and never fully dry.

The important thing is to get everything nice and dry, open everything up and remove any water/moisture from loop/head. Also flush the loop down to normoxic levels (e.g., dont leave high ppO2 in the loop) if you leave it closed up.

Wondering if storing O2 sensors in small plastic bags would be beneficial when not mounted in the head. Would it be good for gas analyser which also has a sensor inside?

The thinking would be to limit the exposure to moving air when not in use.

in the unit after being dried post dive.

Matan.

Leave the cells in the head. Let everything dry overnight. Store the head somewhere so dust does not collect on it, store in a cool, dry place.

You cannot extend the life of your cells. You can get maximum use of the cells by storing in air and as described above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom