How to start the exploration of a new dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I would be mindful of the fact that there could be hazards down there and be prepared for them. Some that come immediately to mind are unstable ledges and possible entanglements. You don't know what sort of cables might have been left behind. Or what natural supports and abandoned equipment might have deteriorated over the years. Nothing you can't deal with, but I would be inclined to treat it sort of like a public safety dive in some ways, perhaps having a more elaborate buddy function than normal, a very conservative air use plan, and a safety diver or two standing by with extra air, tools etc. on the surface. It would be unfortunate to have a potential dive site closed to diving on account of a problem during the exploration. I would at least take more than usual precautions until you know more about the general nature of the place.

Quarries sometime have interesting surprises. They are naturally attractive to criminals wishing to dispose of various vehicles, safes, and inconvenient criminal associates.

I would borrow a good fish finder / sonar unit and make an initial survey of depth and make a basic map of the bottom. The decent ones will also show some detail on structure (which could be both interesting and an entanglement hazard). Then start your exploration following the contours. As long the the vis holds up, it should be fun.

Attach a GPS to your dive flag. My flag is a blow up tube that holds the flag so in that case I could just attach it to the tube. Then if you find something interesting swim in a circle around it. Your circle wont perfect around the object and it will be farther off the deeper you get but its another idea.

I like the SMB idea too. If there are a lot of things to note you could attach a slate to each one with the notes about the object so you could document it later.

Anyone have any good ides of how to make a marker for cheaper? Would a balloon work? fill it with just a bit of air, then tie it off and send it up. If you pop it or loose it no big deal...that way you don't have to buy a bunch of SMB's.

Poor idea. The waterproof box would have a lot of bouyancy and would be trying to drag you up.

Really not that big a deal. People have done this without problems. At most the box would be "Quart" size and therefore have at most 2 lbs positive buoyancy. Yes, it'd take a few minutes for the GPS to acquire signal, but eh <shrug>

You're right though that the small floats with a weight would be a very simple and inexpensive idea.

Attach a GPS to your dive flag.

That's a neat idea.

Henrik

Anyone have any good ides of how to make a marker for cheaper?

How about a pool noodle; it could be cut into smaller sections. You could wind some cheap carpenters line around the noodle section and put a weight of sorts on the other end of the line.

If you make the weights a size that counters the floatation of the "noodle" you wouldn't have much change in buoyancy to deal with.

Of course you'd only be able to bring a limited number of these with you, but maybe enough for what you'd see on a dive.

Henrik

How about a pool noodle; it could be cut into smaller sections. You could wind some cheap carpenters line around the noodle section and put a weight of sorts on the other end of the line.

If you make the weights a size that counters the floatation of the "noodle" you wouldn't have much change in buoyancy to deal with.

Of course you'd only be able to bring a limited number of these with you, but maybe enough for what you'd see on a dive.

Henrik

Be advised: pool noodles will compress with depth and lose their bouyancy characteristics. Probably best to tote them on the surface and tie them off to check GPS coordinates and create a map later, as much of a PITA that is...

Peace,
Greg

Be advised: pool noodles will compress with depth and lose their bouyancy characteristics. Probably best to tote them on the surface and tie them off to check GPS coordinates and create a map later, as much of a PITA that is...

I suspect towing would be a pain.

Do you know if noodles will expand again as they ascend? If so, they might still have enough buoyancy to start heading to the surface when released. Once on the surface they'd then float ok?

Henrik

How about this guys. Take the swimming noodles, wrap them in about 80'-100' of nylon or whatever other line you buy at walmart that the people with the rosy hue to the back of their necks use for trot lines. Keep the prepared noodles somehow attached to your marker buoy and when you find something, ascend, grab a noodle, and finally descend to tie the line to whatever point of interest you may find. Its an idea.

How about this guys. Take the swimming noodles, wrap them in about 80'-100' of nylon or whatever other line you buy at walmart that the people with the rosy hue to the back of their necks use for trot lines. Keep the prepared noodles somehow attached to your marker buoy and when you find something, ascend, grab a noodle, and finally descend to tie the line to whatever point of interest you may find. Its an idea.

Not really a great idea for a dive profile.

I have used small plastic water bottles and line for marking out areas. Bottles were numbered and then details against the number written on a dive slate. Put some air in the bottle and send it to the surface

I like the idea of a fishfinder

I think the idea with the fish finder is the best, get a quality one and float the lake in a pattern. It would give you the closest thing to a bottom map you're going to get. Then dive it, take you composition notes, mark points of interest, and find those gangsters bodies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom