How to setup a Double Tank rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I strongly suggest getting double HP130's instead of double AL80's (it's actually what I use). Here's why-

• They allow you to stay down long enough to go into deco, which really helps if you want to get the full benefit of your DAN membership.
  • They're a GREAT workout on the surface. I try to jog at least a mile a day in them for peak cardio workouts.
  • If your wing fails, you can swim them to the surface, and if you're good at it, you'll learn to survive if you're ever thrown overboard with a cement block tied to your leg by someone trying to kill you as you see on the movies.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Close the manifold? The manifold consists of 3 valves which may or may not need to be closed at any given time. Closing the isolator only allows access to 1/2 the available gas, which after a long/deep/both dive may not be sufficient. Quickly identifying the problem and closing the *CORRECT* post is the best solution.

Alright my mistake , was rushing typing on the way out, what I meant was isolator valve. You do not have to play smart :), I perfectly understand what each valve is used for.

All my post was suggesting is that even if you learn how to close the isolator w/o learning how to close the other valves you will get pretty much benefit out of the doubles in that case the system will not have many more failure points than single tank system.

I'm assuming in this case the person is not doing any deco dives (which would be plain stupidity to do w/o being trained how to operate all valves and when) and can ascent to the surface and unless you plan the gas supply completely wrong you will have gas to ascent safely do a stop etc even if one of the tank will empty completely.

Besides I see nothing wrong at making double for the reason of having more air. That was actually one of the reasons I doubled mine up. Instead of getting 2 full, deep, no deco dives out of my 2 HP100 I can now make 3 dives of the same profile. I fill the tanks in the morning and can dive the whole day. It saves me time and money. I could have gone with HP130 initially but I cannot stand that tank. It's a monster.

Besides I got redundancy, my rig weights the same as It was before with pony, I'm more streamlined and have less drag, and better balanced. It also gave me opportunity to start working on techniques necessary for further tech courses.

thanks for the replies im still reading and i have fine air consumption. i get about 70 min at 40 feet with an AL 80 and i still have 650-700... and im AOw not OW. and i just wanted a simple answer or estimater as stated in my questin as to how much it would cost. not criticism thanks. keep em coming

Doubles are for girls. This is what you need:

TripleNem1.jpg

Triple Manifold Vintage Scuba 1/2 in Tapered Antique - eBay (item 360170220249 end time Aug-12-09 04:03:15 PDT)

Some can do it for free. Your millage may vary :)

Here are some rough numbers for used gear, assuming you bide your time and look for good deals. The low end isn't the best stuff, of course...

1. second AL80 (any valve, in hydro, vis): 60-75.
2. bands: 70-80
3. manifold: 60-100
4. first stage: 60-100
5. backplate with harness: 50-100
6. doubles wing: 150-200
7. Misc hoses, hardware, etc: 30-80

Total: about 500-750.

Here are some rough numbers for used gear, assuming you bide your time and look for good deals. The low end isn't the best stuff, of course...

1. second AL80 (any valve, in hydro, vis): 60-75.
2. bands: 70-80
3. manifold: 60-100
4. first stage: 60-100
5. backplate with harness: 50-100
6. doubles wing: 150-200
7. Misc hoses, hardware, etc: 30-80

Total: about 500-750.

I wouldn't budget for less than 1K.

Back
Top Bottom