How to set up first set of doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yap, you realy need a good instructor, your lds was not much of a help.

Why does the primary inflator hose go on the right side? I will be diving wet, so wouldnt it be better if it goes on the left side?

motorcitydiver:
I understand how important training is and I have every intention of gaining a higher level of training before going beyond my capabilities. I wasn't aware of the issue with 94 wing, especially since my LDS/instructor advised me on it. All I wanted to know was if most double divers used one or two SPGs. Thanks for the the help!

I didn't have any doubles training the first time I used them, and they still felt great and there was nothing to it, though the staff at the dive resort I was using set them up for me. I used AL80's with a 40# wing. I really don't see what the big deal is when just rec diving in them.

As for SPG's, I use 1 with manifolded doubles and 2 with indepedent doubles.

Jorbar1551:
Why does the primary inflator hose go on the right side? I will be diving wet, so wouldnt it be better if it goes on the left side?
It doesn't really matter its just some people prefer the hose routing from the right post to the wing inflator keeps things tucked in better. It depends on hose length and what type of first stage.
I rig my inflator from the left post

Motorcity,

I think your getting a lot of style specific answers here. This could be considered another.....

Originally Posted by Jarrod Jablonski
Generally the consensus is that while diving wet in an area with a deep or nonexistent floor (i.e. ocean or large cave) a redundant BC is a good idea. Many people feel that a diver diving a dry suit could use the suit for emergency buoyancy. This assertion is quite reasonable but should be practiced to determine one's proficiency...

I would assume the Great Lake would fall into that catagory...

Dry suit/non drysuit...bungied/non bungied...redundant/non redundant....

Ask your instructor the questions you have concerning all these...you might find he/she has valid reasoning supporting all...maybe not...but ask until your comfortable with the answer. I personally think it's a great wing(depending on your type of diving) and can be more streamlined than many smaller wings. We are not talking single rigs here, so streamlining with primary light, two backup, clips, clips, clips, and deco bottles etc. is like trying to streamline a bus any hoot! As far as the entanglement, I would think I might be more inclined to be untangled on all the above before I would be concerned about the bungees on the wing.

I would be unfortunate if you start thinking you made a poor choice on equipment based on someone else's opinion, although they are valid ones based on their type of diving. I say again...ask your instructor their reasoning. Does he/she dive the same gear? Does the group for conformity? Does it make sense for you?

Bruke

elmbruker:
Motorcity,

I think your getting a lot of style specific answers here. This could be considered another.....

Originally Posted by Jarrod Jablonski
Generally the consensus is that while diving wet in an area with a deep or nonexistent floor (i.e. ocean or large cave) a redundant BC is a good idea. Many people feel that a diver diving a dry suit could use the suit for emergency buoyancy. This assertion is quite reasonable but should be practiced to determine one's proficiency...

JJ is speaking of redundancy, not 2x the necessary lift, these are different matters. Is there a "style" that dictates twice the lift needed?

elmbruker:
We are not talking single rigs here, so streamlining with primary light, two backup, clips, clips, clips, and deco bottles etc. is like trying to streamline a bus any hoot!

It is quite possible to streamline a rig and carry this equipment. Why add drag you can easily avoid?

elmbruker:
I would be unfortunate if you start thinking you made a poor choice on equipment based on someone else's opinion, although they are valid ones based on their type of diving. I say again...ask your instructor their reasoning. Does he/she dive the same gear? Does the group for conformity? Does it make sense for you?

Bruke

SomeONE Else's opinion? Or the consensus of most respondents to this thread?

I've encouraged motorcitydiver to seek a variety of opinions, even those perhaps of other instructors, now that he's better informed.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
JJ is speaking of redundancy, not 2x the necessary lift, these are different matters. Is there a "style" that dictates twice the lift needed?

Agreed...two redundant bladders. Like (2) 20/25 pounders?

It is quite possible to streamline a rig and carry this equipment. Why add drag you can easily avoid?

Agreed...

SomeONE Else's opinion? Or the consensus of most respondents to this thread?

Was this directed at you? I think rather in the context of my post It was to state for him to form his own conclusion rather than mine.

I've encouraged motorcitydiver to seek a variety of opinions, even those perhaps of other instructors, now that he's better informed.

Tobin

All I did was give mine..I might of miss read his post? But as he bought the wing...I wasn't so inclined to offer a better buying solution(which I would of one of yours) :wink: I just commented on the one he had purchased.

Bruke

Your 94lb wings are definately not ridiculously too big. I own the same 94lb OMS wings and also have a 75lb Custom Diver wings and if you start using steel doubles and side mounts and deco bottles and reels it is nice to have enough lift. So dive those wings proudly. To help answer your original questions - most divers use only one SPG. And you should breath both tanks at the same time, in other words have the isolator valve open. It is very important to have proper planning when doing tech dives including profile and air comsumption. The SPG is used mostly to make sure that you are sticking to your planned dive. If it fails you are going to end the dive immediately and should have plenty of air left to get you to the surface because of you planning even if you don't know the exact amount in your cylinders. You definately should recieve proper training before doing serious tech or deep dives like deep wreck dives in the great lakes. Your instructor will definately be the best source for helping you configure your setup and learning to plan your dives safely. Happy diving.

UTdiver:
Your 94lb wings are definately not ridiculously too big. I own the same 94lb OMS wings and also have a 75lb Custom Diver wings and if you start using steel doubles and side mounts and deco bottles and reels it is nice to have enough lift.

Double Al80s and a 94-lb wing is not a config that would make you stand out as properly configured in most dive situations.

Now in your case, wearing steel doubles AND side mounts, you might need that additional lift.

Back
Top Bottom