How to set up first set of doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the process of setting up my AL80s as doubles. I just purchased a Sea Elite manifold with isolator valve. My question is should I have an SPG for both tanks? Should doubles be dived breathing from both tanks at the same time or one at a time? I'm curious how YOU are diving with them.

I think your best bet is to find someone local who dives doubles and can help you understand the fundamentals of doubles diving.

You have the tanks and manifold, but do you have the bands, wing, regulators to go with them? Where are you likely to be diving these? What is your motivation for going to doubles at this point?

Rachel

I have an OMS IQ with 94# Wing. OMS bands and SS backplate. 2 Legend LX supreme regulators. The reason for doubles is deeper Great Lakes wreck penetration dives.

By the way it can be very dangerous if the tanks/bands/manifold is not set up in correct alignment.

Most double divers these days use one spg on the left post.

A "intro to tech course" is a great no deco way of learning equipment config. and new skills while getting great practice in your new doubles

You were posting as I was, now with your reasons I also can suggest a wreck penetration course, Tech Nitox, Deco procedures and lots of dives, Followed up by Helitrox and Tri Mix!

A 94# wing is ridiculously large for a set of double 80s. I wish I had a 40# instead of the 55# I have. I know I'm in warm water, but still....

I second the training suggestion. If you plan to dive the deeper wrecks you'll want adv nitrox/deco procedures and probably a rec triox or full trimix class of some sort. That will definitely help you square away your gear and give you skills you need to do those dives safely.

Rachel

How is a 94 too large? Once I become more advanced i'll need all the lift I can get. If it doesn't get utilized to its full potential what's the harm?

Really, and I mean this... find a local tech instructor and talk to him/her about all this stuff. The internet is not the place to learn how to properly configure yourself and conduct deep/decompression diving.

Rachel

My original question was about 1 or 2 SPGs on doubles. I'm aware that this is a forum not an instruction class. I'm aware of the need for proper training. I'm aware that everyone is giving an opinion. Thanks for yours.

motorcitydiver:
How is a 94 too large? Once I become more advanced i'll need all the lift I can get. If it doesn't get utilized to its full potential what's the harm?

They are fine, don't sweat it. After all we are cold fresh water divers and tend to use more weight to get down......and as you put it, if it's not used to it's full potential all the time then there is no harm to it.

Back
Top Bottom