How to select a gauge console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm in the minoroity but I like standard size consoles with teh SPG and a Hockey puck computer on the front Compass on the back.

I have 3 of the Oceanic ones. Started out with Depth gauges, Switched to prodigy dive computers and now to VEOs. Only had to buy the computer and swap them out each time.

What if I already have a wrist computer and am happy with it? I don't need a computer in my console. Have others dived with just an SPG and compass?

Has anyone else had problems with "mini" gauges? I like the lower profile, but the puck instruments can be swapped out easily. Have mini gauge users had a problem with their instruments?

I have the Sherwood 3-gauges console as a backup unit to my computer. I like the easy readouts of the large displays. My eyes ain't like they used to be.

What if I already have a wrist computer and am happy with it? I don't need a computer in my console. Have others dived with just an SPG and compass?

Has anyone else had problems with "mini" gauges? I like the lower profile, but the puck instruments can be swapped out easily. Have mini gauge users had a problem with their instruments?

Since you already have the wrist computer a compass/SPG console would be an odd duck item. It may be offered but I don't know where.

Since your computer is not air integrated (good) you will need a hose mounted SPG.

That leaves you with the compass. Since you are already going down the wrist path it could be a wrist mount. This is popular with many and considered technically superior. I don't care for the posture it drives and if you aren't really self aware of how you you use it can cause a lot of inaccuracy.

An option to consider is a retractor mount. The compass rests in a boot with a retractor linking it to your upper BC. When you need to navigate just take it in your palm and sight a heading or hold it to run a course. I think this would be my 2nd choice behind my 3 bay inline console.

Pete

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom