How to save a Saltwater flooded GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy you must be fun at parties. :wink: If it works I guess it works, I was just happy to save my buddy's camera

Finally, electronics exposed to salt water will likely have a much shorter life span even if saved.

Exactly, I wouldn't consider it saved until maybe if you can repost this in 2015. I think a call to go pro would result in them not giving it a clean bill of health, but a wait and see...as it's pretty typical to 'save' a camera, a cell phone, an Ipod only to find out it was only a temporary revival as the internals end up slowly corroding over time and eventually after a week or a month or two it dies permanently.

It's been going strong 4 months so far

Information is power. I'm the life of a party! B-)

I glad it lasted this long, and hope it hangs on as long as needed and beyond!

Haha, thanks. That's the plan

Bump for sail up wind

I tried crab4life's recovery process and it worked beyond my expectations. I had been using my Hero 2 with the LCD back and the dive housing for 25-30 dives without a problem. Last May, shortly after entering the water on a boat dive, and dispite my normal precautions, I noticed the latch wasn't fully shut and salt water was in the housing. I handed the camera to someone on the boat who took out the battery and SD card, while I continued the dive. Later that morning, I rinsed everything in fresh water and put the camera and back in rice and left it on the balcony in Jamaica so it got plenty hot! All I could get it to do after several days of this is the power light would glow for a few seconds then nothing. I brought it home and left it in the rice until now! I took it apart as far as I could and did the rubbing alcohol - vinegar thing and after 4 months got the camera to work but with some spots on the image. I used Damp-rid instead of rice, this time. Of course, I broke the microphone wire connections to the MB in the process. I then tried the LDC back and it came on but no image, just a cloudy looking mess on the screen. So I took that apart and repeated the process with it and it, too, came back! The image isn't perfect but good enough. I then took it to a iPhone repair place to resolder the mic wires and clean the sensor (I removed the lens but could get it clean enough). The sensor cleaning and resolder job cost me $10 and now everything works fine and ready for dives next week! Thanks, crab4life!

Glad I could help! Post some vids up of your dives!

Crab4life your OP should be a STICKY! Otherwise I'll have to bump it every month so it doesn't get buried.....:D

I have no idea how to do that lol, I'm computer stupid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom